[OPLINLIST] FW: 2014 Dayton Literary Peace Prize Winners Announced

Gregor, Paul PGregor at gcpl.lib.oh.us
Tue Oct 7 16:53:50 EDT 2014

Please see the following release and information which has been posted on behalf of Helen Pritchard and the Library Committee of the Dayton Literary Peace Prize.
Thank you.

Paul Gregor
Head Librarian
Jamestown Community Branch
Greene County Public Library
937.675.6605
pgregor at gcpl.lib.oh.us<mailto:pgregor at gcpl.lib.oh.us>
(cross postings to Publib-L, Libref-L and Oplinlist)

 The 2014 Dayton Literary Peace Prize Winner for fiction is:

 *   The Woman Who Lost Her Soul by Bob Shacochis (Grove Atlantic)
Renowned for his revelatory visions of the Caribbean, Shacochis sets his magnum opus in four countries over a span of fifty years and multiple wars, creating an intricate portrait of the catastrophic events that led up to the war on terror and the U.S. as it is today.
http://daytonliterarypeaceprize.org/2014-fiction_winner.htm

The 2014 Winner for Nonfiction is:

 *   Your Fatwa Does not Apply Here: Untold Stories from the Fight Against Muslim Fundamentalism by Karima Bennoune (W. W. Norton & Company)
>From Karachi to Tunis, Kabul to Tehran, Bennoune shares the inspiring stories of the Muslim writers, artists, doctors, lawyers, activists, and educators who often risk death to combat the rising tide of religious extremism in their own countries.
http://daytonliterarypeaceprize.org/2014-nonfiction_winner.htm

The 2014 Runner-up for Fiction is:

 *   Wash by Margaret Wrinkle (Grove Atlantic)
Through the character of Wash, a first-generation slave, this haunting first novel explores the often-buried history of slave breeding in the early nineteenth century, offering fresh insights into our continuing racial dilemmas.
http://daytonliterarypeaceprize.org/2014-fiction_runner-up.htm

The 2014 Runner- up for Nonfiction is:

 *   Contested Land, Contested Memory: Israel's Jews and Arabs and the Ghosts of Catastrophe by Jo Roberts (Dundurn Press, Toronto)
Drawing on extensive original interview material, Canadian journalist Jo Roberts vividly examines how their tangled histories of suffering inform Jewish and Palestinian-Israeli lives today, and frame the possibilities for peace in Israel.
http://daytonliterarypeaceprize.org/2014-nonfiction_runner-up.htm

As previously announced, Louise Erdrich is the Winner of this year's Dayton Literary Peace Prize for Lifetime Achievement

She will join the ranks of past winners of the Richard C. Holbrooke Distinguished Achievement Award, formerly called the Lifetime Achievement Award, including Studs Terkel (2006), Elie Wiesel (2007), Taylor Branch (2008), Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn (2009), Geraldine Brooks (2010), Barbara Kingsolver (2011), Tim O'Brien (2012), and Wendell Berry (2013).

http://daytonliterarypeaceprize.org/2014-holbrooke.htm