[OPLINLIST] Sets of TV shows on DVD: different items or different volumes?

David Allen dallen at cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Thu Oct 9 14:15:22 EDT 2014

Dear Collective Experience,

What are the different ways that people deal  with the "Generic TV Show,
Season 2, Disc 3" situation?  Specifically, does any catalog treat them as
volumes of a series?

Once upon a time, we cataloged, packaged, and circulated the season as a
unit.  However, this wasn't popular with patrons and we realized we were
losing circs, so we went to giving each disc its own bib and item record.
This allowed people to reserve and borrow them one at a time in whatever
order they wanted.  Theoretically.

An alternate that's sometimes been floated here is to have one bib for
"Generic TV Show, Season 2" and make each disk a volume.  Has anyone out
there done this, and how well does it work?  Can we look at your catalog?

And has anyone found any other strategy that you think is really excellent?

TIA,

David Allen

Coordinator, Cataloging and Acquisition

Cuyahoga Falls Library