[OPLINLIST] Speaker on the Amish

Karen Woods kwoods at twinsburglibrary.org
Tue Sep 23 10:14:51 EDT 2014

For those who, like me, are always looking for a good, inexpensive adult program:

This past Sunday, the Twinsburg Public Library hosted a program on Amish culture we called "The Amish Inside and Out," with speaker Brenda Nixon.  The program surpassed my expectations in the warmth and appeal of the presenter and the breadth of her knowledge, particularly of the conservative Schwartzentruber order.  She begins with an overview of the Amish and ends with personal experiences and Q&A. Her daughter is married to an ex-Amish man, the son of a bishop, and their home has become a sort of safe house for young men and women making the transition out of the Amish community.  Brenda brings simple a Powerpoint and a suitcase of authentic Amish clothing for the audience to examine.  She is the author of parenting books that some of you may have in your collections, and has also contributed to several other books which she will bring for purchase and signing.

If anyone is interested in hosting her, her fee is very reasonable.  Her blog is Beyond Buggies & Bonnets: True Amish Stories at  www.brendanixononamish.blogspot.com
She lives in Mount Vernon, and you can contact her at speaker2parents at juno.com

Karen Woods,  Adult Services
Twinsburg Public Library
10050 Ravenna Rd.
Twinsburg, OH 44087
(330) 425-4268 x2

If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Twinsburg Public Library.