[OPLINLIST] Question for Catalogers

Michael Penrod michaelpenrod at wcdpl.org
Thu Apr 2 13:40:42 EDT 2015

ISIS seems, for purposes of DDC classification only, to be a
self-identified political (321?) and/or social group (307?) that uses a
certain interpretation of a certain faith (297) that, while centered in one
geographic area (956), is in reality now being spread to other areas.  The
focus of the books appear to not be geography or history (900s) nor on
"following" a faith (200s).

I would shelve them in the 300s as a social or political movement.  Any
books you have on Al-qaeda would be a good place too (as long as it is not
in the 200s).  Doing that would be the same as shelving books on the KKK
with the Bibles or 240s.

From:
http://www2.curriculum.edu.au/scis/connections/issue_65/changes_in_the_dewey_decimal_classification.html

Terrorism, after all, has been around for a long time. The word has been
used since at least the French revolution and the practice has never quite
disappeared: think of the Anarchist bombers at the start of the 20th
century, or the Red Brigades and other similar groups of the 1960s. Dewey
has long had provision for the concept. For several editions past, it has
been at 363.32: ‘Control of violence and terrorism', which also included
‘crowd and riot control'.

Given the increased recent media attention on al-Qaeda and other militant
groups in the Middle East , it was clear that the general number was no
longer adequate. In November 2005 a Dewey update was published which
greatly expanded the number. Here is a summary list of the main new numbers
and their headings in DC22:

363.32 Social conflict

.321 Aspects of social conflict

.323 Crowds [including riots, demonstrations]

.325 Terrorism

.3251 Aspects of terrorism

.3253 Bioterrorism and chemical terrorism

.3255 Nuclear terrorism

.3259 Specific targets of terrorism

--
Michael Penrod, Director