[OPLINLIST] [OPLINTECH] email blacklisted with 1and1?

Karl Jendretzky karljendretzky at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 15:00:58 EDT 2015

The MX record for listserv.iii.com is oakdc-smtp-01.iii.com which is a
CNAME for smtp.iii.com. For some reason 1&1's smtp daemon doesn't seem
to like CNAME record for MX records even though it's fine. I modified
the DNS config for lists.oplin.org to make it work again for some
people with SEO mail, which is hosted by 1&1. This is a 1&1 problem,
but iii could work around it by changing their MX record for that
domain to just be smtp.iii.com (which they shouldn't have to).

The 2nd error is a different problem. Error 1 basically says "we can't
find a pointer to the server" while the 2nd says "we talked to the
server and they said your mailbox is unavailable". Might be that the
person fat fingered the address, or maybe it was a transient issue. If
other people continue to get that error when mailing you we could
probably investigate further.

Karl Jendretzky
IT Manager - Ohio Public Library Information Network
(614) 728-1515
karl at oplin.org