[OPLINLIST] PC reservation and minors policy

Mary Kruse maryekruse at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 11:33:52 EDT 2015

As requested, here are the answers I received:

___

Not sure why you are restricting access in such a way. Take a look at these
links…

http://www.ala.org/tools/libfactsheets/alalibraryfactsheet26

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/iftoolkits/litoolkit/internetusepolicies

Edward Worso

Director

Henderson Memorial Public Library

54 E Jefferson St

Jefferson OH  44047

(440) 576-3761

http://www.henderson.lib.oh.us/

Keep up with us on Facebook!
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Henderson-Memorial-Public-Library/259405180703?pnref=lhc>

___

If they're under 18 we make them use the computers for that age group and
give them a guest pass. We do not let the parents say whether or not they
can have internet access when they sign up for a card (or otherwise). It's
the parents job to police it, not ours. The only reason we wouldn't give
them a guest pass is if they have a card and their fines are over $10.

Andrea B. Adkins
Adult Services Manager
Washington County Public Library
615 Fifth Street
Marietta, OH 45750
740-373-1057 x606

​___

​It's our policy"..if found using another patron's card you computer
privileges will be revoked until we can contact parents...".  Both cards
are blocked and notes made on both accounts that we must speak to them
before privileges are granted again.  This allows us to speak with both
parties about the policy and to be sure that no "wrong-doing" has happened.

Hope this helps.

Sam Norris

Director
Mary Lou Johnson Hardin County District Library
325 East Columbus Street
Kenton, Ohio 43326
snorris at mljlibrary.org <norrissa at oplin.org>
419.673.2278
www.mljlibrary.org/

​___

​If a minor uses another patron’s card, and we know the minor does not have
permission, then we check the management console to see who’s card they are
using. We then inform the minor they are not permitted to use anyone else’s
card. We also put a block on the card being used so the next time that
patron comes to the library we can inform them that another patron (no
names) was using their card to access the internet.

If we do not know the minor is not permitted then we carry on without
disrupting. Some patrons have a history, and we know to check on them. I
have informed staff not to snoop in patrons’ accounts when they are seen
using the computer because it is a violation of privacy. However, if we
know a minor is not permitted to use the internet, then they are violating
the rule of using someone else’s card, as well as not having parental
permission.

We have found that once they are caught twice (we have two floors so they
usually try to get away with it in both places) then they stop trying.

Betsy K. Eggers

Director

Napoleon Public Library

310 W. Clinton St.

Napoleon, OH 43545

419-592-2531

​___

​

​You really don't have any control over that, do you?  If we notice this
happening, we address it.  Our policy is that a patron may only use their
own card to access the Internet.  If the situation you described took
place, we would tell the child that they needed to use their own card to
use the Internet.  We would ask if they had their own card, and we would
then find out if they had permission to use the Internet.  If they didn't,
we would let them know about the policy and tell them that if they wanted
to use the Internet, they needed to bring a parent in, who could sign the
consent form.  I would say that if a parent was angry because their child
used the Internet in this way, I would say that we do our best to monitor
the situation, but it really is impossible if someone is doing this because
we cannot know every patron and card number.  If we suspect it is
happening, we look into it.  The only way to guarantee your child isn't
using the Internet or accessing materials that you do not want them to use
is to come with them when they visit the library, which is what we
encourage all parents to do.

Hope this helps-
Eric

___

​What if they memorize someone else's library card number? A relative or
friends card? They wouldn't need the card in hand. We ran into this before
when we had time limits on how long a patron could use the computers ( 3
hours a day). The person would come in to use the computer and it would
show their time used up for the day. Turned out someone else was using
their card number to use a computer.

What if the youth is signed in with mom or dad's card while mom or dad are
looking at videos to check out?

I don't think we have a specific policy about this but we do include this
in our computer use/internet use policy :

http://lgdata.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/docs/1835/1191509/6_Technology_2014.pdf

Parents are responsible for allowing and monitoring their children’s library
computer use.

I hope this helps !

-Ed Liddle

Marysville Public Library