[OPLINLIST] It's a gift

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Thu Feb 5 21:49:33 EST 2015

SWON Libraries Weekly Newsletter

SWON Libraries // Weekly

    * Programs designed to serve others
    * SWON's Summer Reading Program Workshop
    * Pew: Millennials will overtake Baby Boomers this year

Something good happens to you when you share some of your work for free. Whether it’s a bit of tech support or a small kindness, a gift can be a powerful force.

I’ve been doing this with a small arts group in Cincinnati that writes poems for people, a project called Short Order Poetry . We ask what they’d like their poem to be about, which can raise a skeptical look. But when we tell them it’s free, most people give it a try. That leads to a conversation, and often a very personal one, that would not have happened otherwise. We type a poem for them on a manual typewriter and give it to them to take home.

Libraries have long run or hosted free programs that help others. Some host groups like Warm Up America! that knit or crochet hats, afghans and other items for people in need. Libraries host plant and seed swaps that help people expand their gardens, and there are other programs too.

These programs are generally for adults. It’s not that young people can’t crochet or garden, but if you asked kids what they could make that would help others in their community, I bet you’d get fascinating new ideas. Asking that question could start get people thinking about what a library community is, too.

    * Nathan Swartzendruber, SWON Technology Educator

	Small superheroes

The heroes theme for Summer Reading is an opportunity to think about community service. A superhero’s costume takes time, sure, but their reputation is earned by what they do to help others.

At SWON’s upcoming Summer Reading Program Workshop, Heather Semelroth will share a program that partners with local non-profits to help young children help others. She’ll share tips on building collaborative relationships with local organizations as well as program details.

March 18th is the day for this full-day workshop, which features five new talks from our SRP workshop last fall.

	Who are these Millennials, anyway?

Almost every day, new articles are published about who Millennials are, what they’re doing and what they value. The answers don’t seem clear, which isn’t surprising considering there are nearly 75 million of them. When Pew estimates that Millennials will overtake Baby Boomers this year , you know we’re talking big numbers. Sure sounds like it’s time to start thinking about how to serve them .
	Coming up on the calendar

Please register for online classes at least two days before they take place.

    * Best Books of 2014 February 10, 2015 - Clermont County Public Library, Union Township Branch
    * Teen Summer Library Program II Webinar February 11, 2015 - Online
    * Sensory-Enhanced Storytimes February 11, 2015 - Online
    * Academics (Special Interest Group) Meeting February 12, 2015 - Galen College of Nursing, Cincinnati
    * ABC’s of Babytime February 12, 2015 - Online
    * How to Talk to Teens About Books February 12, 2015 - Webinar
    * ROYAL Literature Review (Special Interest Group) Meeting February 12, 2015 - Lane Public Library, Fairfield
    * CLEAR Literature Review (Special Interest Group) Meeting February 12, 2015 - Kenton County Public Library, Covington
    * CLEAR Literature Review (Special Interest Group) Meeting February 13, 2015 - SWON Meeting Room
    * President’s Day - SWON Libraries Office Closed
    * Introduction to Intellectual Freedom in the Library February 17, 2015 - Online
    * Genealogy & Family History Research Simplified: Helping Patrons Find Their Family Heritage & More February 19, 2015 - Online

You’re receiving this because you’re an awesome SWON Libraries customer or subscribed via our site .

Edit your subscription |

SWON Libraries

10250 Alliance Road, Suite 112
Blue Ash, OH 45242