[OPLINLIST] Sprint + Manage Mobility = Mobile Hotspot Checkout Program

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Jul 9 11:10:10 EDT 2015

I'm cross-posting this message to OPLINLIST to reach the libraries that
don't monitor OPLINTECH.

The TV Whitespace discussion (on OPLINTECH list) reminded me of a brief
conversation I had with a fellow from Sprint a couple of weeks ago on
behalf of one of my libraries. Sprint seems to have partnered with Manage
Mobility to create a program where patrons can check out mobile WiFi
hotspots that operate over the cellular network. Libraries set the checkout
period (2 weeks, 1 month, 6 months, whatever) just like any other
circulating item. It allows library patrons that don't have/can't afford
WiFi at home to get it via the library. No library is too large...I think
New York or Boston was getting something like 10,000 units for
circulation...and it appears that no library is too small. I understand
that there might be a couple of Ohio libraries that have only a small
handful of units.

It sounds like there is cost to the library, but I was told that Sprint has
a team of grant writers/finders available to help the library get funding.

Beyond the above, I don't know anything else about it. But I spoke with
Shane Carnahan (Shane.Carnahan at Sprint.com) briefly on the phone and he's
looking to expand the program in Ohio. He asked me to spread the word and
keep him in mind for any libraries I work with that might be interested.
I'm definitely not endorsing this program nor do I have any relationship at
all with either of the companies. The TV Whitespace conversation on
OPLINTECH just made me think of it.

It would be interesting to see comparisons and pros/cons of TV Whitespace
vs Mobile Hotspot Checkout Program. They could be somewhat complimentary,
but also maybe somewhat competing in the same space, depending on how the
library wants to expand their wireless coverage in the community.

FWIW,
Chad

Hi Cathy,

I'm reaching out to gauge your interest in the final level of the Mobile
Hotspot Checkout Program.

After Manage Mobility has assured that each device is properly staged, the
experts at Manage Mobility will continue to provide ongoing support to
assure that the program is functioning as it should. The following are ways
in which Manage Mobility will provide ongoing support:

   - Managing and updating the customized online portal, while also
   educating the library administrator on how they can manage it themselves
   - Providing customer support to each individual customer
      - Help desk
      - Online chat
      - 1-800 phone number that comes directly to Manage Mobility’s
      headquarters in Georgia
      - Customer support is available Monday-Friday 8a.m.-8p.m. (EST) and
      for limited hours on the weekend
   - Providing daily, weekly or monthly reports that include all
   information from admin portal, as well as a summary of overall usage of
   individual devices
   - Provide RMA creation and monitoring
   - Provide an individual account manager as your daily contact person

To learn more contact Shane Carnahan at Shane.Carnahan at Sprint.com

2015 Copyright © All Rights reserved. All trademarks and registered
trademarks appearing are the property of their respective owners. We strive
to provide accurate information but details can change without notice and
Manage Mobility cannot be held legally or financially laible for any or all
claimes or damage.
2555 Marconi Drive, Suite 100, Alpharetta GA, 30005

Click here to opt out
<http://info.managemobility.com/ef1/emunsub.php?em=ce4b3dc8f6b16547d8eec051f82c8e6550a07e61f39b62c5769ed47cb41e897a&li=306afb3fbdc912ee91cae37589c7c4cd&ci=7c1bf911d07ac62267bf72101a65639f>

*Chad Neeper*
Senior Systems Engineer

*Level 9 Networks*
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*