[OPLINLIST] Too Many Volunteers?

Amanda Henning ahenning at delawarelibrary.org
Tue Jun 23 10:25:45 EDT 2015

Please excuse cross posting.  I am a teen librarian in a medium sized
library system that is experiencing some growing pains in its teen
volunteer program.  We have four branches, and for the past few years,
we've had so many teens who want to volunteer that we've had to cap
registration, limit sign ups, etc.  We're also struggling to build
relationships with the teens who volunteer with us because we only see each
teen a few times during the summer.

For medium and large systems - how do you handle the large amount of teens
who want to volunteer, specifically during summer reading?  We're
struggling to maintain the reason we started the program in the first place
(to help teens feel valued and important in the library), while trying to
manage the numbers we have.

thanks!

--
Amanda Henning