[OPLINLIST] Summary for Methods of Acquiring Library Materials

Dorrie Russell Sacksteder dorrie at jdfiles.org
Tue Mar 3 16:02:34 EST 2015

A little late on this, sorry.

The original question was: "What methods do you use/have available to
you to purchase materials for your library collection when the
item(s) wanted are not available through a regular jobber such as
Ingram or Baker & Taylor? This is when you wish to acquire them for
permanent inclusion in the collection (not ILL or other resource
sharing method)". This was a question from the librarian of an
organization that does occasional publishing.

I received 17 replies, including one from a former supervisor (24
years ago), and one from the current director of a public library
that refused to issue me a library card when I was about 11 years old
(long, stupid story).  Many stated that they could purchase from any
online or physical retailer. Others had limitations, but they varied
in the types and degrees of limitations.

The answers were all over the place, so here's some quotes:

"We have a few local purchases- such as yearbooks- that we are
authorized to buy, but the amount of paperwork involved is rather
daunting. We do have a corporate card- which is what we use for those
purchases- but the process is onerous enough that we do not seek out
other opportunities to use it and there must be a great need for us
to go through the paperwork hassle to use it with a new company."

"I think a lot of systems, especially larger systems, have this
limitation in place.  Not that they're under and exclusive contract,
but that as a matter of policy or procedure they only do business
with selected vendors."

"We will purchase from anyone."

"We generally go through B&T. This is primarily because we do not
have a credit card and so must go through a place that will accept a
PO and bill us. We do not do Amazon because my FO sees this as a
credit account."

"We also purchase directly from authors, other vendors, small
publishers, etc. They just need to be set up with our Fiscal Officer
as a vendor and submit the appropriate forms (W9, etc.). "

"One time a staff member bought an older yearbook at an antique flea market."

Thanks everyone that took the time to reply.

-Dorrie

---
Dorrie Russell Sacksteder, M.S.L.S.
dorrie at jdfiles.org