[OPLINLIST] Alternate email services

Stephen Hedges st.hedges at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 11:44:38 EDT 2015

Here's what we've discovered so far about alternate email services. (Feel
free to add to our list.)

Many libraries are going with 1&1 hosting, http://www.1and1.com/, which is
what's powering the email accounts SEO is now going to be providing to SEO
libraries.

The state email hosting service that state agencies use will not be a good
fit for libraries, as the price per month (pretty high) includes many
services aimed at state agencies, which drives up the cost per user per
month.

Office 365 is what powers the state mail service, many library email
accounts, and includes an online version of Microsoft Office for each
account at $5/month.
http://products.office.com/en-us/business/compare-office-365-for-business-plans

Neothink is a Ohio-based Microsoft Partner that already works with CLEVNET
and other libraries. Their contact sheet says "Contact Neothink at
440-944-8446 or info at neothink.net to learn how your library may be eligible
for free cloud-based email services provided by Microsoft." We haven't
found a link to any information about such a Microsoft service.

One thing we would NOT recommend, based on our experience, is trying to
build and maintain your own system, unless you have a team of email
experts. Modern email systems are just too complex.

---
Stephen