[OPLINLIST] Why no new OPLIN email service?

Stephen Hedges st.hedges at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 13:25:06 EDT 2015

We're hearing a few questions as to why OPLIN is not working on
building a new email service.

Frankly, you guys are able to get new email service functioning MUCH
faster than we can. Libraries are more nimble than state agencies.

The state does have an existing email service for state agencies, but
they made it quite clear that they did not want to handle public
library email.

If we had tried to use state funds to purchase service from an outside
email hosting company, the expected cost would be so high we would
probably be required to follow the state procurement rules, issuing an
RFP, waiting for bids, and then going through a bid selection process.
It would take a while just to determine what we would or wouldn't be
required to do!

If we had built our own new service, even a very simple service, there
would be a delay of about a week (my estimation) before this fresh new
service would be ready to accept new accounts, and then handling a
couple thousand requests for accounts would take a good bit of time as
well.

It seems that many of you have already acquired new service, often at
discounted cost (even free), in only 2 days. We could never have done
anything that quickly.

Stephen
--
Stephen Hedges, Director
2323 W. Fifth Ave, Suite 130, Columbus, OH 43204