[OPLINLIST] "No-Fine" Libraries

Don Yarman yarmando at delawarelibrary.org
Fri Jul 15 05:53:57 EDT 2016

> How long have you been “no-fine.”

The Delaware County District Library eliminated fines on print
materials nearly 20 years ago. Late fees were set at $2.00 per
day on VHS tapes, and that price continued on DVDs and
videogames until this year, when we eliminated all fines except
on items whose policies we do not control (i.e. interlibrary loan
fees).

> Is it working?

Yes. We bill for the item cost relatively soon after the due
date, and that cost blocks the card. But our goal is not to
interrupt library use, so staff will find accommodations: renewing
items to reset the clock, holding selected materials until
the overdue ones are returned, etc.

> Do you have a way for people to donate in lieu of paying a fine (a donation
> jar at the circ desk?)

We do have a jar where patrons can give us "voluntary fines."

> Has it increased circulation?

No.

> Any other thoughts you may have.

While fine revenue is not nothing, we all know it doesn't run
the library. What it does do is provide a barrier to library services,
particularly for the people whose economic situations make
our services most valuable. Eliminating fines not only let us
stop punishing our poorer patrons, it also clarified our priorities
and eased the work on the staff: because we care about the materials,
not the penalties, staff had the freedom to waive fines but not
lost material charges. This can be confusing both to the staff
and to the patrons. Now, balances against patron accounts are
only lost material charges, which go away completely when items
are returned.

                Don Yarman, Deputy Director
                Delaware County District Library
                84 E Winter St; Delaware OH 43015
                yarmando at delawarelibrary.org  740.362.3861

Currently listening to "Last Call" by Tim Powers.