[OPLINLIST] "No-Fine" Libraries

Don Yarman yarmando at delawarelibrary.org
Fri Jul 15 15:27:15 EDT 2016

(Wow. I haven't done that in years -- accidentally hit "send" before
writing anything.)

> 1.  If fines are eliminated to make library materials accessible to low income patrons, isn't billing for the full cost of the  item 'relatively soon' more, not less punishing?

We don't make them pay; we just require them to bring the stuff back.

> 2.  What incentive is there to return items in that case?

To have library privileges restored. Most patrons don't want to own
what they've checked out (and if they did, they'd probably buy it in
better shape than what we have to offer).

                Don Yarman, Deputy Director
                Delaware County District Library
                84 E Winter St; Delaware OH 43015
                yarmando at delawarelibrary.org  740.362.3861

Currently listening to "Last Call" by Tim Powers.