[OPLINLIST] Older British short story

Clark Library clark at seolibraries.org
Fri Jul 29 15:49:09 EDT 2016

I'm looking for a British short story published in an English textbook used in a
classroom in 1967-68.
I believe the text was BRITISH PROSE AND POETRY and was perhaps published by a
Canadian company.  The story was very moving - about a young American flier who
is spending his leave in England with an English buddy's family, who has been
described as very warm and loving by his friend.  However, his visit finds the
family members very distant, reserved, and formal, and the young American
wonders what he has done to offend them.
At last, on a walk with the daughter of the family, he learns that the family
has just received word of his friend's death, but not wanting to ruin their
son's friend's leave, and knowing what he faces, the family members have been
heroically trying to "keep a stiff upper lip" for his sake.  I taught that story
to my class about 50 years ago, and it still lingers in my mind!   I'd be very
grateful if someone could find it! Thank you.