[OPLINLIST] Fwd: SWON Weekly: Building for the Future, a makeup program for New Adults and more!

Cassondra Vick cassondra at swonlibraries.org
Tue May 3 16:52:05 EDT 2016

Register for SWON* here*[1]
*SWON serves libraries in Kentucky and Ohio *
If this email does not display properly, use this link:
https://swonlibraries.site-ym.com/news/287667/Building-for-the-Future.htm

SWON Libraries // Weekly Dayton Metro Automated Book Return

Building the "Next Big Thing"

We here at SWON have recently had the opportunity to visit two of Dayton
Metro Library’s newest projects – the recently renovated Miami Township
branch[2] for our Spring Membership Meeting last month, and the brand
new Northwest branch[3], in preparation for next week’s Staff Training
Symposium, The Innovators Next Door[4]. And for Dayton Metro, innovation
is where it’s at.
Pictured above is Northwest’s window on their automated returns system
-- a critical part of their 24-hour availability -- which also includes
a “holds locker” housed in a lobby that never closes. I had a chance to
see the returns system in action at the Miami Township branch, and I was
amazed to see a system of conveyer belts and RFID scanners that not only
checked the books back in, but actually sorted them into bins based on
whether they were print materials, AV materials, on hold at another
branch, and so on.

Meanwhile, the 24-hour holds locker allows the library to be open for
patrons 24/7/365. Holds are placed in the secured locker and at any time
of day, the patron may enter their library card information and have
their reserved book vended and checked out to them.
Both branches feature spacious lobbies with separately-lockable interior
and exterior doors that make this customer-service-friendly innovation
possible. Sometimes it is easy to get distracted by the shiny
technology, but being ready for the next big thing also requires
designing your buildings for the next big thing.
That’s where SWON is here to help.
We are looking to launch a new special interest group for those of you
who are renovating, updating, and building new libraries. Making changes
to a library or constructing a new one poses many unique challenges, but
there are those in the area who have the benefit of experience and can
share that knowledge with you. It also provides our members a chance to
swap info on techniques, supplies, and vendors.
This is your chance to get in on the ground floor. If you are
interested in participating in a library construction and renovation
special interest group in any capacity (we’re looking for participants,
leaders, vendors, presenters) please contact Melanie [5]via email or at
(513) 751-4422 for more information and get your building ready for the
next big thing.

~ *Cassondra Vick, Technology Educator, SWON Libraries*

Makeup classes for your patrons
We are excited to pass on this offer for our members whose patrons may
be interested in makeup tutorials. This would be a great summer program
for the New Adult demographic!
Mary Spencer has years of experience working in salons and at brand-name
makeup counters. For $50, Mary will do a demonstration that includes
tips and tricks for daily makeup, and ideas for special event makeup or
makeup for photography
To book Mary, give her a call at (513)693-6013 or email her at
thehairgarden3 at gmail.com[6]

Digital Inclusion Day
Non-profit organizations, libraries and local government working on
broadband adoption programs have long discussed the need to coalesce
around a goal of digital inclusion.  The time is now. The FCC’s
expansion of Lifeline to include a broadband subsidy, their overall
interest in increasing broadband adoption and increased attention to
digital inclusion at local, state and national levels creates a unique
opportunity. NDIA strives to create a connected world where the internet
provides people the potential they deserve.

 Join NDIA *Friday, May 13th* for the first National Digital Inclusion
 Day as they focus attention on empowering under-connected communities
 through increasing internet access and usage. The NDIA invites you to
 participate in a nationwide* *Twitter Town Hall discussion at 10:00 AM
 PT / 1:00 PM ET about the impact digital access and skills can have on
 society, families and individuals.
The NDIA would also appreciate your support in their Thunderclap
campaign[7]. Thunderclap will generate a tweet, a Facebook post, or a
Tumblr post on May 11th at 8pm, advertising the Twitter Town Hall
discussion. Signing up is easy. Visit Thunderclap[8] for more
information.
Check It Out![9]

Coming up on the calendar... *Please register for online classes at
least two days before they take place.*
 * *Webinar: 30 Minute eClassroom - EBSCOhost's Online
   Magazine/Newspaper Index [10] *
   * Cost: *FREE* for employees of Supporting Member Institutions[11]
     $15 for everyone else *5/9/2016 - Online*
 * *Staff Training Symposium: Innovators Next Door [12] *
   * Cost: $75 for employees of Supporting Member Institutions[13] $100
     for members in our  Ohio service area[14] $125 for everyone else
     *5/11/2016 - Dayton, OH*
 * *Reviewers of Young Adult Literature Interest Group (ROYAL) - Blue
   Ash [15] *
   * Cost: $50 *per year* for employees of Supporting Member
     Institutions[16] to Join ROYAL[17] $100 *per year* for everyone
     else to Join ROYAL[18] Free books included with cost! *5/11/2016 -
     Blue Ash, OH*
 * *Children's Literature Evaluation and Review Interest Group (CLEAR) -
   North Miami Valley [19] *
   * Cost: $50 *per year* for employees of Supporting Member
     Institutions[20] to Join CLEAR[21] $100 *per year* for everyone
     else to Join CLEAR[22] Free books included with cost! *5/12/2016 -
     Bradford, OH*
 * *Webinar: 30 Minute eClassroom - Science Reference Center and
   Consumer Health Complete [23] *
   * Cost: *FREE* for employees of Supporting Member Institutions[24]
     $15 for everyone else *5/16/2016 - Online*
 * *YA LitCon 2016 [25] *
   * Cost: $15 (non-SWON event) *5/3/2016 - Perry, OH*

Save the date for these events...

 * *Level-Up Lab: Personality Theory for Supervisors/Managers [26] *
  7/20/2016- Blue Ash, OH
 * *Ohio Library Support Staff Institute [27] *
  7/24/2016 to 7/26/2016 - Ada, OH
 * *Inaugural Marantz Picturebook Research Symposium [28] *
  7/24/2016 to 7/26/2016 - Kent, OH
 * *21st Annual Picture Book Read-In [29] *
 08/23/2016 - West Chester, OH

You’re receiving this because you’re a SWON Libraries customer or
subscribed via our site[30].
Click here to unsubscribe:
http://swonlibraries.org/members/EmailOptPreferences.aspx?id=28829626&e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&h=cf4454de7ea8d33d57598c61c7d3cf4dbd858249

Follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook
SWON Libraries
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 112
 Blue Ash, OH 45242
 513.751.4422