[OPLINLIST] Walkie talkies for service desks

Ed eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Mon Oct 3 19:23:16 EDT 2016

The Marysville Public Library has two sets of FRS radios, at each
circulation area, one set on the main floor and one set on the lower
level. Information about FRS radios can be found here
https://www.fcc.gov/general/family-radio-service-frs

Library staff do not use them regularly for communication with each
other. They mainly get used if we have an event at the library like a
tornado warning, lost child, etc to make it easier for staff to check
and/or secure the building. In the event of a tornado warning, staff
check all areas of the building and direct patrons to the tornado safe
room in the lower level.

Depending on how your going to use them, you may want to look into Multi
Use Radios (MURS) radios. Information on MURS radios can be found here
https://www.fcc.gov/general/multi-use-radio-service-murs

The main differences besides the bands they operate on are FRS radios
have to have a fixed antenna and transmitter power of 1/2 watt (500
miliwatts)
Murs radios are limited to a transmitter power of 2 watts (2,000
miliwatts) and can have detachable antennas. Both FRS and MURS radios do
not require individuals to have a license to use them.

If you know anyone with a police/fire scanner, you could program that
with the MURS and FRS frequencies before making a purchase to find out
if anyone else with in range of the library are also using MURS radios
or FRS radios. This could help you make a decision that would minimize
interference between the library and others within range of the library
that could be using them.
FRS radios are common to buy at big box stores. I haven't noticed too
many MURS radios being sold at big box stores.

I hope this helps!

-Ed Liddle
Marysville Public Library