[OPLINLIST] List of favorite rereadable (i.e. midlist) books for an Overdrive project

David Allen via OPLINLIST oplinlist at lists.oplin.org
Thu Aug 3 16:19:33 EDT 2017

Everyone,

I'm trying to build a list of the older books that people like to go back and reread, as opposed to new ones that are currently wowing them.  These are the titles that people from my library contributed.

Are there any titles that any of you would like to add?

I'm particularly hoping for some suggestions that balance some of the patterns in the first responses: more mysteries and romances, and more nonfiction that's not in the 200s.

Thanks very much!

David Allen

Coordinator, Cataloging and Acquisitions

Cuyahoga Falls Library

CFL staff recommendations:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Here's a list of my favorite rereads!

scifi/fantasy:

China Mieville 'Bas Lag' series, and 'Kraken'
Garth Nix's 'Sabriel'
N.K. Jemisin 'Hundred Thousand Kingdoms'
Catherine Valente 'Deathless'
in fiction:
Liz Dalby 'Tale of Murasaki'
in romance:
C.S. Pacat 'Captive Prince' series
in nonfiction:
C.S. Lewis 'Surprised by Joy'

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Favorite rereadable non-fiction books:

Mere Christianity

The Abolition of Man  (Read only once, but it's next on my list for a re-read.)

Both by C.S. Lewis

Orthodoxy

by G.K. Chesterton

The Bible

Various Authors

Favorite rereadable fiction books

All seven books in C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia series

All three volumes of the Lord of the Rings series by J.R.R. Tolkein (actually I've only read these once, but I plan on reading them again).

All seven volumes of the Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling (Again, this is a planned reread--I've only been through them once.)

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

My all-time favorite is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I will return to the last page just to get goosebumps all over again. The film was an excellent adaptation of the book.

Classic Science Fiction is re-readable: Heinlein, Clarke and Bradbury and Orwell's 1984.

Jeffrey Archer's short story collections draw me back, as does Patricia MacLachlan's Sarah Plain and Tall series, which are also great film versions of the book.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

books by David Sedaris.   And 'A Prayer for Owen Meany' by John Irving.

Or really, humor type things in general...Far Side collections, Calvin and Hobbes collections

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

My Non-Fiction Picks:

The One Minute Manager Meets the Money by Kenneth Blanchard

101 Designer One-Skein Wonders: A World of Possibilities Inspired by Just One Skein by Judith Durant

At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Crossing the Unknown Sea: Work as a Pilgrimage of Identity by David Whyte

My Fiction Picks:

Snowbound with Betsy by Carolyn Haywood

A Perfectly Messed Up Story by Patrick McDonnell

Tell Me a Tattoo Story by Alison McGhee

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (it's the first book in the Last Survivors series)

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

My Kids Would Say:

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

My Pictures After the Storm by Éric Veillé<https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5552912._ric_Veill_?from_search=true>

We Are in a Book by Mo Willems

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Okay, well, a short list here because me brain's not working:

The Pyrates by George MacDonald Fraser

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom by A.C. Crispin

Britain BC by Francis Pryor

Britain AD by Francis Pryor

The German Army on the Somme, 1914-1916 by Jack Sheldon

Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger

The Goon Show Scripts, by Spike and the Boys (because I like a bit of Goonery, I do...)

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater (It's a four-book series, and I especially love the audiobooks)

Spindle's End by Robin McKinley

Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey

Hawkeye, Volume 1: My Life as a Weapon by Matt Fraction and David Aja

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein