[OPLINLIST] Nonchristian popular religious music?

David Allen via OPLINLIST oplinlist at lists.oplin.org
Fri Aug 4 14:55:14 EDT 2017

Diana Nelson wrote:

 “ David, a google search revealed this...is that what you mean? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_Jewish_religious_music”

Partly.  We were thinking in terms of musicians like Steven Curtis Chapman, whose music is played in cars and while doing the dishes for people who appreciate its Christian piety.  Some of the bands listed in the article seem to do that kind of music, but with Wikipedia’s “Just the facts, ma’am” style, it’s hard to tell.

Cindy Maxey wrote:
“I’ve heard both Muslim and Jewish popular religious music.

Here’s just one Muslim music video: https://youtu.be/u_-McEvEGvI
Here’s one Jewish example: https://youtu.be/u_-McEvEGvI”

The Muslim music video is exactly the kind of music we were asking about. Unfortunately, the link to the Jewish video points to the Muslim video again.

Jonathan Harris wrote:

“I don't suppose Viking Metal is the answer you're looking for...”

I read that, chuckled, and shared it with the room, and someone said “But I know some pagans who’d love that.”
Shahin Shoar wrote:
“Sami Yusuf has some of the best popular Islamic Music if you are interested in adding to your collections.”

http://amzn.to/2ubcMDN

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_Yusuf

These also look like the kind of music we were asking about.  Thanks.

Misty Alvaro wrote

“There is also popular Islamic music, if we're sticking with the Judeo-Christian paradigm. I've seen modern Islamic, Hindu, neopagan, Wiccan, and Buddhist music in both "world music" and "new age" classifications.

Good luck!”

And Rhonda Johnston wrote

“Spiritual or Religion.”

Thank you both.