[OPLINLIST] Microsoft license telephone scam alert

Chad Neeper via OPLINLIST oplinlist at lists.oplin.org
Thu Aug 17 13:26:12 EDT 2017

FYI,  one of my libraries just sent me this message:

One of my employees received an automated phone call stating that it was an
> "emergency call" regarding "the license key of" because our "Microsoft
> windows expired"?
> It stated that we needed to call 1-800-569-1481 <(800)%20569-1481>.

That phone number seems to be doing the rounds over the last day or so. It
might be a good idea to remind everyone on staff to ignore any urgent
license expiration notices from Microsoft. Sorry to break it to you, but
Microsoft Corp. really doesn't care one iota about you and absolutely won't
be bothering to call you about your license (unless perhaps you're a *very*
large organization that warrants special attention. You aren't. You don't.
Sorry.   ;-)

Slightly more info:
https://whocalled.us/lookup/8005691481

Have a great day everyone!
Chad
*Chad Neeper*
Senior Systems Engineer

*Level 9 Networks*
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*