[OPLINLIST] OPLIN Services and Net Neutrality

Don Yarman don at oplin.ohio.gov
Thu Dec 21 11:41:33 EST 2017

On Thursday December 14, the commissioners of the Federal
Communications Commission (FCC) voted to end the policy commonly known
as Net Neutrality. This is naturally prompting questions from
libraries concerning what it means to them. In the immediate future,
the answer is probably nothing. Implementation of the decision is
likely to be held up by litigation. Once begun, it will take some time
for this to get through the courts.

For OPLIN's part, the FCC's recent decision is unlikely to change the
current state agreements for data transport or Internet service. We
have existing contracts for your library's main connection to the
OPLIN core, and for public library traffic to the commodity internet.
These do not change quickly.

This is not to suggest that the end of Net Neutrality is of no
concern.  Libraries in general have a stake in an open, equal internet
as part of our core value of intellectual freedom. I'm happy to have
that philosophical debate off-list.

Practically speaking, "ensuring equity of access" is spelled out as
OPLIN's mission in the Ohio Revised Code. To the best of our ability
and wherewithal, we will provide the best service we can to Ohio's
public libraries.

We know that, on the local level, libraries use a variety of ways to
connect your branches, and your options could become even more
complicated. Helping you with that is one of the reasons we're here.

If you have questions, I'm happy to chat further.

Neutrally yours,

                    Don  Yarman
                    Director, Ohio Public Library Information Network
                    2323 W Fifth Ave Suite 130, Columbus OH 43204
                    don at oplin.ohio.gov | 614.728.5250