[OPLINLIST] RFID tagging

Nick Tepe ntepe at myacpl.org
Thu Feb 9 15:40:43 EST 2017

Chiming in to agree with Ed's point that unless you're making the even
larger investment in automated sorting, RFID is not a good investment for
public libraries, but also to mention that many of the time and accuracy
savings of RFID can also be achieved through streamlining. Even something
as simple as placing the barcode in one consistent location on your items
and sorting checkins directly onto shelving carts can cut huge amounts of
time in processing.

While I recognize that the technology continues to improve, when I worked
for Columbus Metropolitan Library one of several reasons we didn't pursue
RFID about 10 years ago was that through workflow analysis and streamlining
our staff were already processing materials as fast as the automated
systems did at that time, and with the same number of staff that would be
needed to run the automated system. So before taking the plunge I'd
recommend that you at least make sure that you've gotten all the
efficiencies you can out of your current processes, and that RFID will
still add value after that.

Naturally, your mileage may vary, and I'm glad that it's worked so well for
Westlake!

Nick

C. Nicholas Tepe
Director