[OPLINLIST] Children's Internet Use

Eric Taggart etaggart at rodmanlibrary.com
Fri Jul 6 10:31:43 EDT 2018

Hello, all-

Currently, children at our library who are in 3rd grade or above may use
the Internet if a parent signs a permission form.  Essentially, parents
opt-in when their child wants to use the Internet.  We are thinking
about moving to an opt-out policy, where parents could indicate on the
card application if they do not want their child to use the Internet.
We would work with the assumption that children were permitted to use
the Internet unless we were informed otherwise by the parent.

I have to believe that there are other libraries out there that have
made a successful transition of this nature, and I would be interested
in knowing how you were able to accomplish that. Generally, I suspect
that most parents would not really care given the fact that many
children have unsupervised access to the Internet anyway.  However, I
thought that perhaps I could learn from someone else about the pitfalls
of navigating this change.  It's easy to change the card application for
new borrowers, but I'm not sure exactly how to handle current cardholders.

If you can give me any insight regarding this, I would be happy to hear
from you.

Thank you for your assistance-
Eric

--