[OPLINLIST] Job Posting - Dayton Metro Library

Jennifer Kadel JEly at daytonmetrolibrary.org
Tue Jun 26 17:44:07 EDT 2018

Information Services Librarian (Archives Emphasis)
Dayton Metro Library
The Dayton Metro Library is seeking a full-time Information Services Librarian with an Archives Emphasis.  This position reports to the Special Collections Manager and is part of the Special Collections team at the Main Library in downtown Dayton.  In addition to our print and digital archival collections, Special Collections also houses our local history materials, genealogy resources, magazines, newspapers, and government documents. The successful candidate will understand basic archival principles and have experience in managing and creating digital collections.  Visit http://content.daytonmetrolibrary.org/digital/ to see the many collections that have already been digitized and made accessible for our patrons to use from the comfort of their homes.  We are looking for someone who is excited to continue digitizing our resources as well as providing outstanding customer service to our patrons in person at our various service desks.  Join our team today!

Essential Job Duties

*         Demonstrates excellent internal and external customer service. Creates a welcoming atmosphere in the public service areas through personal presence and area's design.

*         Provides all library users with assistance in reference, readers' advisory, information literacy, and in the use of library materials and reference resources (all formats). Serves at the Ask Me Desk, the Ask Me Line, and in a roaming capacity.

*         Assists patrons in finding and selecting library materials and in the use of the public computers, personal electronic devices, and library virtual materials.

*         Provides work guidance in the absence of the Manager and/or appointed person in charge.

*         Designs, promotes, presents, and evaluates adult programs and activities that address community needs and incorporates library resources.

*         Evaluates and suggests titles for purchase or replacement.  Reevaluates and deselects materials which need to be cancelled, repaired, replaced, or redistributed.

*         Submits required reports and budget requests. May serve on library committees. Attends applicable department meetings. Assists with system-wide programs, activities, and initiatives.

*         Maintains digital collections and initiates new digitization projects.  Develops recommendations for new digital collections and projects, and provides input into policies affecting the digitalization of collections.

*         Provides advice and recommendations to public service staff for developing, maintaining, and preserving archival materials for researchers, in both physical and digital forms.

*         Provides services and maintains liaisons with archival and related community organizations. Attends meetings and gives presentations within the community on archives and related topics.  Provides library outreach programs.

Job Qualifications

*         Knowledge of professional library principles, methods, techniques and procedures. Knowledge and appreciation of adult literature, periodicals, audiovisual materials, web sites, social media and other electronic media which constitute a diverse, current and relevant adult collection.

*         Ability to determine patron information needs. Ability to construct a competent and complete search strategy using both print and non-print information resources.

*         Knowledge of available and emerging technologies and their application to reference work.

*         Ability to plan and implement programs and services to meet community needs.

*         Experience in managing and creating digital collections preferred.  Experience using metadata preferred.

*         MLS/MLIS (preferred) or its equivalent in education and experience is required.

*         Experience with CONTENTdm is a plus!

*         Daytime, evening and Saturday hours are required.

The Dayton Metro Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Compensation and Benefits:  Starting hourly wage is $22.91 (with MLS/MLIS) and an exceptional benefits package.

Application Process:  For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three employment references to Jennifer Kadel at careers at daytonmetrolibrary.org<mailto:careers at daytonmetrolibrary.org> by July 10, 2018.

[cid:image001.png at 01D0186B.B3E83010]

JENNIFER KADEL
Recruitment and Retention Manager
DaytonMetroLibrary.org<http://www.daytonmetrolibrary.org/>
P: 937.496.8588 *  F: 937.496.4302

"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
-J.K. Rowling