[OPLINLIST] Last Chance--Connect the practice of mindfulness to librarianship

Shelly Miller shellym at ohionet.org
Wed Mar 7 14:54:24 EST 2018

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D3B624.2DCD6630]

The faster things go the more we need to be aware of the infinite ways we are drawn into self-distraction each day. Research shows that the more time we spend in this distracted, autopilot mode, the less happy we are. During this introductory session we'll dive into what mindfulness is (and isn't), take a look at the neuroscience behind mindfulness and explore a variety of simple practice and programming ideas.

Exploring Mindfulness-for You and Your Community<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=451>
Thursday, Mar. 8th from 2pm to 3pm
Presenter: Heidi Beke-Harrigan

Can't make it in real time?  Sign-up and be sure to get the link to view our recording of this session at our convenience.

Other upcoming events in the Cultivating Connections series...
Building Blocks of Interpersonal Communication<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=445>
Could you use a better understanding of the basic building blocks of communication?  This webinar serves as a great foundation for developing great confidence in your communication skills.  Plan to attend to discuss the most common communication tasks-explaining, questioning, listening, and reflecting-and to learn how to assess your skills.
Monday, April 23rd, 2:30 pm to 4 pm
Presenter: Dr. Miriam Matteson (Kent State University)

>From Problem Patrons to Sensitive Subjects: Dealing with Difficult Conversations<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=452&reset=1>
Whether you've struggled to talk about a sensitive issue with a colleague, to ask your boss an uncomfortable question, to deliver unpopular news to staff members you supervise, or even to set appropriate boundaries with an inquisitive patron, you aren't alone.  However, it won't help to avoid the subject or hide in the back room.  So what can you do?  Practice, practice, practice!  This day-long, hands-on workshop will give you the opportunity to work through a variety of challenging scenarios in a supportive, low stakes environment.
Monday, May 7th, 9:30 am to 3:30 pm-in person, at OhioNET
Presenters: Kate Porter & Pam Cole (Upper Arlington Public Library) and Dr. Miriam Matteson (Kent State University)

Looking for more continuing education options?  Check out the full listing of events on the OhioNET Training Calendar<https://www.ohionet.org/training-calendar>!

If you find yourself with questions about these, or any of our other CE options, please don't hesitate to contact us (ohionet at ohionet.org<mailto:ohionet at ohionet.org>). We're always happy to help!

Cheers,

Shelly

Shelly S. Miller
Community and Training Manager
OhioNET  |  1500 W. Lane Ave.  |  Columbus, OH 43221
shellym at ohionet.org<mailto:shellym at ohionet.org>  |  800-686-8975 ext. 37