[OPLINLIST] FW: NEO News: We Want You, INFOhio, SMART Goals, and Publisher Policies

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Mon Aug 12 15:59:45 EDT 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_5405807.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D55126.F4C69600]
NEONews August 12, 2019
Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Executive Director
  *   it is Time to Register
  *   Why SMART Goals?
  *   Continuing Education to Print and Share
  *   We Want You!
  *   INFOhio for Public Librarians
  *   Summer Reading Survey

Continuing Education to Print and Share
 Be sure to share this one-page  CE @ a Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0819_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf> with your staff.
We Want You!
We realize that Summer Reading has ended in most of your libraries.  However, Summer Reading is just beginning for NEO-RLS.  We are beginning to plan for next year's summer reading programs, adult, children, and teen and we want your input.  Please consider serving on a summer reading committee.  The first meeting will be held after the  Annual Membership Meeting & Appreciation Breakfast at 11:15 a.m. on Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at the Hilton Garden Inn in Twinsburg.  If you are interested in serving on one of these committees please contact Melissa Lattanzi<mailto:lattanzm at neo-rls.org>.
INFOhio for Public Librarians

INFOhio Campus <https://www.infohio.org/campus> is the go-to place for INFOhio’s training and professional development options. INFOhio believes that professional development should be flexible, validated, collaborative, and reflective. You’ll see these qualities in each of our options. You will find some old favorites here like Learn With INFOhio webinar recordings and Success in Six learning modules. You will also find our newest training opportunity, INFOhio Learning Pathways<https://www.infohio.org/campus/learning-pathways>.

Pathways are made up of individual classes on INFOhio’s tools and digital content. You can take the whole Pathway, or you can take a class or two to fit your professional development needs. How’s that for flexible?

Each Pathway will contain the Introduction to INFOhio class <https://www.infohio.org/campus/learning-pathways/course/introduction-to-infohio> , a great way to learn more about INFOhio if you are a new user, or refresh your memory if you haven’t visited the site for a while. This class is worth 2 contact hours, and is perfect if you need to help colleagues and patrons discover the content and tools available at www.infohio.org<http://www.infohio.org/>.

Summer Reading Survey
Thank you to the 65+ Ohio public libraries that have submitted their 2019 Ohio Summer Library Program evaluation survey!

If you’re not among them, please complete the survey at www.surveymonkey.com/r/srpeval2019<http://www.surveymonkey.com/r/srpeval2019> at your earliest convenience.

Your participation helps the State Library, Regional Library Systems, other partners, and the Collaborative Summer Library Program to provide helpful resources and support for future SLPs.  It also gives us the information we need to communicate the value and impact of summer programs at Ohio libraries. Aggregate data from the survey is shared with the OLC for its advocacy work.
A Note from the Executive Director
[https://myneotoday.org/photos/35223_01302017091627.jpg]Once again, my mom, library user extraordinaire, has kept me on my toes in terms of what is happening!  Last week she emailed me a copy of information from her public library regarding new publishers’ policies and their impact on eBook access.  As many of you may already know, four major publishers, Blackstone Audio, Simon & Schuster, Macmillan and Hachette, have created new policies which, although not identical, all prove costly to public libraries.  Depending upon the publisher, libraries may now be limited in the number of digital copies they can purchase, be charged prices exceeding those of individual consumer prices or be forced to wait to purchase copies only after retail outlets have been able to sell the digital copies for an extended period.  What that means for our patrons is that in most cases, there will be fewer available copies and increased wait times for digital materials.  Patrons who are unable to afford access to digital copies in any other manner will be most impacted.  Increased charges will also impact collection budgets.  Most significantly however, is the fact that the decisions on the part of these four publishers makes it much more difficult for public libraries to do what they are charged to do – provide access to information for everyone.    ALA, PLA and library professionals have been vocal in their opposition to these new policies and ALA is currently crafting a strategy to address the changes long-term.  Wanda Brown, ALA President, has issued a statement and a call to advocacy.  If you are concerned about the impact of these decisions on your community, click here<http://www.ala.org/advocacy/e-books> for more information.

Betsy Lantz
it is Time to Register

Levy Webinar for All [Archive]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53475>
08/12/2019
Day for Circ Staff: It's All About Myers Briggs and Working as a Team<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51162>
08/13/2019
How to make Outlook and Calendar work for you! <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53249>
08/14/2019
A Tale of Two Levies: A Case Study for Planning Your Library Levy<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53252>
08/15/2019
New Collection Management and Development Network and Workshop<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53146>
08/20/2019
Fortnite In The Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53479>
08/20/2019
Engage Your Learners: Presentations and Training with Accelerated Learning Techniques<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53108>
08/21/2019
Serving Veterans in the Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53172>
08/22/2019
Construction and Facilities Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53457>
08/22/2019
But I Saw it On the News<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53173>
09/04/2019
What Would You Do? Diversity and Harassment in the Workplace<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53502>
09/05/2019
Supervisors' Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53441>
09/06/2019
Girls Who Code <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53178>
09/10/2019
Emergency Preparedness Plan Preparation<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53179>
09/10/2019
You Can Be the Expert-Tech Troubleshooting with Confidence 201<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52976>
09/11/2019
Day for Circ Staff: It's All About Myers Briggs and Working as a Team<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51163>
09/12/2019
Fiscal Officers and Human Resources Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53673>
09/13/2019
NEO-RLS Annual Membership Meeting & Appreciation Breakfast<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53282>
09/17/2019
Soft Skills for Strong Management: Cultivating Good Critical Thinking<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51175>
09/18/2019
What's New in Storytime: A Youth Services Network Event<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53283>
09/19/2019
Fast and Affordable Methods for Training Staff on Genealogy <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53391>
09/24/2019
Work/Life Balance: Less is More<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53814>
09/25/2019
Weeding 101<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53480>
09/26/2019
Reducing Friction - Library User Experience on a Budget, Online and In Your Building<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53861>
09/26/2019
Academic Library Directors' Networking Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53674>
09/27/2019
ALICE Training: Active Shooter Response<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53224>
10/08/2019
Why SMART Goals<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53353>
10/09/2019
It's a Manager/Supervisor's Job to Motivate Staff<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51176>
10/10/2019

Why SMART Goals?
Goals provide us with a sense of direction and motivate us to complete the task at hand. SMART Goals, by their definition, are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and timely and are a useful tool for a staff members’ performance development. They can also be helpful in focusing a work team to move projects forward.

Learning Objectives:

  *   Dive into what SMART Goals are
  *   How to create SMART Goals
  *   Explore alternatives for instances when SMART Goals may not be an effective measurement tool
Join Sara Hodgson,  Director of Human Resources, Mandel Jewish Community Center, on Wednesday, October 9, 2019 at Cuyahoga Falls Library <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=53353&org_id=NEOL> to learn more about Smart Goals.
Template 1 - NEONews August 12, 2019