[OPLINLIST] Follow-up on Lynda.com and LinkedIn

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Thu Jun 13 16:47:09 EDT 2019

This is an interesting event that has impacted Ohio libraries. I appreciate reading the information and opinions about it.

It looks like microsoft's $26.2-billion acquisition of linked in in 2016 is working out really well for them. in 2018  there seemed to be a focus about data mining or integrating linked in to other microsoft products to improve microsoft offerings for their customers.
Here are some news stories about how well it has been working from Feb of 2018
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/microsoft-linkedin-how-marriage-is-working-out/
https://redmondmag.com/articles/2018/02/26/microsoft-and-linkedin-no-news.aspx

In my opinion, It makes logical sense to be able to integrate linked in which my understanding is considered a "professional" social network highlighting its members' professional strengths, work experience, and allows businesses to find skilled people to hire they need to fulfill jobs. Lynda.com offers informal training to people needing to learn about new things or brush up their skill sets as needed. Lynda.com is more affordable than formal higher education, whether someone is degree seeking or not. This can be useful for professional growth and linked in is a platform where  members can list specific skills. From this perspective integrating linked in and lynda.com makes a lot of sense especially if they are ran by the same organization. There will be less reinventing the wheel when it comes to user authentication, tracking skill sets, etc. It will also I assume allow for a single sign on experience for both products, one less password to remember. I know the library staff at our library enjoy single sign-on when it comes to logging into the computers, ILS, and email accounts that Microsoft active directory provides.

It is my understanding Microsoft windows and their other products are used a lot by professionals here in Ohio. I have to wonder if there are any plans to tie everyone's consumer/home microsoft online accounts/Student office 365 accounts to linked in and lynda.com perhaps at a future date. I could see where this would be useful feature for job seekers to make it easier to market themselves. It also would make it easier for people that are employed to keep their professional experiences current in case they become job seekers. This would also take single sign-on to another level for home/consumers.

Microsoft offers a free version of office 365 that many libraries and institutions of higher education are using that includes a hosted version of exchange, the ability to use office 365 hosted apps like word, excel, sharepoint and some others. It also includes office 365 pro plus office suite that can be installed locally on a computer. This is tracked on a per user basis for activation. Each user can activate it on I think 5 computers. Each user can go into their account and deactivate the license on unused computers which frees it up to use on another device. Microsoft also makes software donations to tech soup that libraries can use too. I am unsure what the underlying costs actually are for these but we as a library community are greatful for it and use it. Perhaps the linked in and lynda.com integration is one of those underlying costs in the big scheme of things.

How deep could the rabbit hole go?
Will Ohio libraries collaborate together in protest and start voting with their publicly funded wallets, using alternatives to the operating systems and software that microsoft owns to avoid the integration with linked in, like using apple OSX, Linux, LibreOffice, Firefox, Scribus, google apps, etc? That will be up to the library directors and what is in the best interest of the communities their library serve.

-Ed Liddle