[OPLINLIST] FW: NEO News: Have an Idea or Poster to Share?, Northcoast Writers, Girls Who Code and Networking

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Mon Mar 11 11:45:15 EDT 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_5404585.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D4D7FF.E2CE9A10]
NEONews March 11, 2019

Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Executive Director
  *   It is Time to Think Spring
  *   Poster Presenters Wanted
  *   Instruction and Training Enhanced through Storytelling
  *   CE Publications to Print and Share
  *   Northcoast Writers’ Showcase
  *   NASA @ My Library
  *   Still Time to Start Girls Who Code Club
  *   KEPRO Update
  *   Don't Forget to Network

CE Publications to Print and Share
Have you had an opportunity to review the   <http://https/www.neo-rls.org/docs/NEO-RLS_CE_Program_Gu%20ide_0119-0619.pdf>  Winter/Spring CE Guide<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/NEO-RLS_CE_Program_Guide_0119-0619.pdf>  that lists all the workshops, webinars and network meetings for January - June 2019?  Be sure to share this with your staff. Please let us know if you would like a printed and bound copy mailed to you.  In addition, here  is the one page  CE @ a Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0319_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf>.
Northcoast Writers’ Showcase
All 12 public and academic libraries in Lake and Geauga County have teamed up for this free event. It will feature dozens of local writers and publishers and be headlined by bestseller Imbolo Mbue, who wrote the Oprah-approved Behold the Dreamers . Some of the best local talent in fiction, nonfiction, picture books, and graphic novels will be there – selling and signing their work, as well as leading breakout sessions on the craft of writing. This event will be held on Saturday, April 13, 2019 at Lakeland Community College.  Click HERE <http://www.mentorpl.org/northcoastwritersshowcase2019/> for more information.
NASA @ My Library
Apply by March 15, 2019 to attend this FREE hands-on, space science-themed workshop that will provide activities and content to prepare public library staff for the 2019 Summer Reading program, A Universe of Stories.<http://www.starnetlibraries.org/universe-of-stories/> See the following page for application information.

  *   Learn how to conduct a dozen space science activities <http://clearinghouse.starnetlibraries.org/143-universe-of-stories> geared for children and teens
  *   Discover resources to connect to NASA science and missions
  *   Network with others facilitating science and technology programs
  *   Connect to the broader online community through the STAR Library Network<http://www.starnetlibraries.org/>.
The workshop will begin on May 29 at 1pm, with a Night Sky Viewing that evening (weather permitting). The workshop will continue from 9am-3pm on May 30.

The workshop will be held at the State Library of Ohio.  Click HERE <https://library.ohio.gov/services-for-libraries/library-programs-development/nasa-my-library/#Workshop> for more information.
Still Time to Start Girls Who Code Club

You still have time left to start a Girls Who Code Club this year! It’s never too late to become a change maker and have a positive impact on girls in your community.

Applications to start a Club this spring are accepted until end of March so don’t wait any longer and apply today!

HOW TO GET STARTED TODAY!
Read our step-by-step guide <https://girlswhocode.cmail20.com/t/d-l-plikhg-etjltllur-j/> on starting a Girls Who Code Club for 3-12th grade girls in your community!

KEPRO Update
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) contracts with KEPRO to provide free assistance to Medicare beneficiaries and their families. In May, we will be transitioning to a new contract period and scope of work with CMS. As result of this transition, we have been instructed, by CMS, to stop our Patient Navigation program. February 25th was the last day beneficiaries were enrolled into the program. Please stop promoting/referring to this program immediately and dispose of all materials containing information on KEPRO’s Navigation program.
Don't Forget to Network
Many opportunities to network this spring.
3/22/2019
Branch Managers Network Meeting<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51145&org_id=NEOL>
Akron Summit County Public Library-Good Year Branch Library

4/9/2019
Reference Network<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51147&org_id=NEOL>  Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51147&org_id=NEOL>
Kent Free Library

4/12/2019
New Supervisors Network Meeting<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51148&org_id=NEOL>
Twinsburg Public Library

A Note from the Executive Director
[https://myneotoday.org/photos/35223_01302017091627.jpg]Do you have an idea for a workshop or webinar that you would like to present?  Do you need professional development opportunities for your resume, CV, or tenure requirements?  Some of our best and most well-attended programs started with someone wanting to share their expertise or their exciting project with the libraries in our region.  Perfect examples of this include last week’s workshop, Escape Rooms from Scratch, and the recent webinar, I Didn’t Know You Did That – Public Library Board Game Circulation, along with our upcoming workshop, Instruction and Training Enhanced through Storytelling: Tips and Tricks to Engage Your Audience, <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51144&org_id=NEOL> and our upcoming webinar, Tweens…After School Behavior: To Battle or Engage? <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50995> . We would love to have you instruct on a topic of your choice.  If you are interested, we are currently accepting proposals for workshops and webinars to be held on a space available basis for July 1–December 31, 2019 or from January 1-June 30, 2020.  That gives you a lot of time to plan and prepare!  Please visit our website’s Call for Presenters <https://www.neo-rls.org/call_for_presenters.php> for more information. We look forward to hosting your ideas!

Betsy Lantz
It is Time to Think Spring

Adult Programming Series: 20 More Adult Programming Ideas in One Hour [Archive]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52036>
03/11/2019
Difficult Conversations re: Corrective Action and Termination<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51142>
03/12/2019
If It's Broke, Fix It: Handling Leftover Challenges Effectively<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50992>
03/13/2019
Readers' Advisory Network for Children and Teens: Trends, Tools, and Tricks<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51166>
03/13/2019
Tools to Improve Your Workflow and Increase Productivity <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50993>
03/14/2019
Services for Immigrants - Lessons Learned from Library Services for Immigrants and New America [Archive]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52056>
03/15/2019
Best Practices in Performance Documentation [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52057>
03/18/2019
Tweens...After School Behavior: To Battle or Engage?<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50995>
03/20/2019
How to Write Effective Survey Questions to Get Useful Data<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52072>
03/20/2019
Understanding Your Myers-Briggs Personality Type<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51143>
03/21/2019
Branch Managers Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51145>
03/22/2019
Book Discussion Circuit Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51146>
03/22/2019
Everyday Disability: Welcoming Patrons with Disabilities [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52055>
03/22/2019
Graphic Novels for all Patrons [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52033>
03/25/2019
Cataloging is not neutral: improving equity and inclusion in resource description<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50785>
03/26/2019
Instruction and Training Enhanced through Storytelling: Tips and Tricks to Engage Your Audience<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51144>
03/28/2019
Intellectual Freedom . . . The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52054>
03/29/2019
What are they thinking? Teen behavior in Your Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51092>
04/02/2019
Storytime and Program Planning Made Easy <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52074>
04/03/2019
Critical Conversations Conference: Mental Health Awareness: Libraries Create Safe Zones for Customers and Staff <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51153&org_id=NEOL>
04/04/2019<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51153&org_id=NEOL>
Reference Network<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51147>  Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51147>
04/09/2019
Effective Workplace Communication for New Supervisors<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50996>
04/10/2019
New Supervisors Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51148>
04/12/2019
Play Your Way to Literacy Through STEM and Musical Madness! <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51158>
04/16/2019- 04/17/2019
Weed 'em and Reap: Readers Advisory Benefits of Fiction Weeding<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52075>
04/17/2019
Increase Library Usage Through Strategic Merchandising <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50997>
04/18/2019
Myers Briggs Communication<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51174>
04/30/2019
Serving Forgotten Patrons: Libraries in the Fight Against Alzheimer's Dementia <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51093>
05/01/2019
Collaboration Connection: Planting the seeds to building successful community partnerships<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51155>
05/02/2019
A Day for Public Service<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51156>
05/08/2019
Gripes, Grumbles and Grievances: Improving Labor-Management Relations through Effective Communication and Grievance Processing <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51160>
05/09/2019

Poster Presenters Wanted
Showcase your innovative tech projects and ideas at the 2019 Emerging Tech Symposium! This year's theme is AR/VR - Immersive Realities, but your poster can be about anything related to emerging tech. Feature your library’s cool tech programming and events with a traditional poster or feel free to get creative! Email  holly.klingler at neo-rls.org<mailto:holly.klingler at neo-rls.org> to participate.

Read more about the event:  http://bit.ly/2UEqPe3 <https://bit.ly/2UEqPe3?fbclid=IwAR3Scq9UbRiGbqwRlzINE47U_KwI-_FPovMrEyOIzie24ksp6vn_4R-28GQ>
Instruction and Training Enhanced through Storytelling
Tips and Tricks to Engage Your Audience
Thursday Morning, March 28 th at Cleveland Heights-University Heights Public Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51144>

Whether you regularly teach, train, or speak in front of others, we're always looking for new ways to connect and engage with our audience.  Learn how to apply acting, storytelling, and visual design techniques to help you prepare and deliver engaging presentations no matter what the context.
Learning Objectives:

  *   Employ acting techniques to enhance the preparation and delivery of your sessions
  *   Utilize storytelling as a framework for session development
  *   Evaluate resources to choose the most appropriate visualizations for your information
Presenter:  Amanda Koziura  joined CWRU as a Digital Learning & Scholarship Librarian in 2014.  In addition to managing the Freedman Center for Digital Scholarship with the rest of her team, she teaches workshops, consults on a variety of digital scholarship topics, and serves on the library's instruction task force.  She also regularly collaborates with faculty to bring digital humanities into the classroom and enhance their research efforts.  In 2017 she was selected to participate in the Librarians Active Learning Institute.  She holds a BA in Theater & English from Skidmore College and an MLS from the University at Buffalo, SUNY.

Template 1 - NEONews March 11, 2019