[OPLINLIST] FW: NEO News: 2019 Mover and Shaker, NOTSL, Body Language and Day for Circ, and Networks

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Tue May 7 08:53:00 EDT 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_5404585.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D504B2.440A8E90]
NEONews May 6, 2019

Weekly Update

  *   2019 Mover and Shaker Presents for Emerging Tech Symposium
  *   Don't Miss a Workshop or Webinar
  *   Network with Your Peers
  *   CE Publications to Print and Share
  *   NOTSL Spring Meeting
  *   Day for Circulation Staff

CE Publications to Print and Share
Be sure to print   CE @ a Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0519_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf>  for you and your staff.   There are still many workshops and webinars in May and June.  Keep watching the website as workshops and webinars are being added daily for the next 6 months.
NOTSL Spring Meeting

NOTSL will hold its Spring Meeting on Thursday, May 23, 2019, at Cuyahoga County Public Library’s Parma-Snow Branch Auditorium, 2121 Snow Road in Parma, Ohio.

Kyle Banerjee, Oregon Health and Science University, will connect current data migration issues to our shared past. Bring your ideas and questions to discuss how mere mortals can migrate complex systems to build the services of the future. Sarah Weeks from Oberlin College will discuss data management best practices to allow the ILS to best fulfill its dual purpose of connecting users to information and helping library staff make data-driven decisions. There will also be a panel discussion where Anna Hood (Kent Free Library), Leslie A. Engelson (Murray State University) and Roman Panchyshyn (Kent State University) will share experiences and answer questions regarding data migration and maintenance.

Registration is now open for Can a Catalog Spark Joy? Catalog Maintenance for Management and Migration.   All are welcome; membership is conferred on all attendees.

Visit NOTSL’s website<https://notsl.org/> for full program information and to register.

Day for Circulation Staff
It's All About Myers-Briggs and Working as a Team
The morning and part of the afternoon will focus on Myers-Briggs and the different types and how they communicate.
We will then hone our skills even more by looking at one of the most significant and important elements of communication, namely nonverbal communication. We will learn about how essential it is to be aware of our nonverbal cues, and how can we learn to read the cues of others, both our colleagues and our patrons, in order to understand them more effectively.

Learning Objectives:

  *   Explore where body language comes from, why it is important and how it affects us and others
  *   Discover ways to utilize nonverbal cues to communicate your message clearly in context to a variety of scenarios circ staff may encounter
Presenter:  Holly Klingler , Research and Innovation Coordinator, NEO-RLS
4 Times to Attend:
Thursday, June 13, 2019 - Wayne County Public Library <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51161&org_id=NEOL>

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - Mentor Public Library <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51162>

Thursday,
September 12, 2019 -
Canfield Library<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51163>

Tuesday, November, 12, 2019 - Westlake Porter Public Library <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51164>

2019 Mover and Shaker Presents for Emerging Tech Symposium
[http://neo-rls.org/photos/51688_05062019090025.jpg]Pete Schreiner is the Research Librarian for Design at North Carolina State University Libraries in Raleigh, NC. He is a 2019 Library Journal Mover and Shaker.   As a 2016 NCSU Libraries Fellow, he spent two years leading the Libraries’ immersive technologies initiative by supporting VR technologies in library learning spaces and lending services. Prior to NCSU, he worked in Special Collections & Archives at Lewis & Clark College in Portland, OR. Before librarianship Pete ran a carpentry business, worked in media and design, and was a touring musician. He earned his MLS from Emporia State University and BFA from Indiana University.  Join Pete at our 2019 Emerging Tech Symposium on Thursday, June 6, 2019<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51193&org_id=NEOL> at the Hilton Garden Inn in Twinsburg.  Pete will discuss  Accessing Virtual Reality in the Library.   This session will look at ways of providing access to virtual reality in library spaces, and integrating VR tools into lending workflows. We will discuss tools from various price points to address differing budgets. Pete Schreiner from NCSU Libraries will share practical insights from two years of experimenting with VR services, opening VR learning spaces, and lending VR equipment.

The 2019 Emerging Tech Symposium will focus on exposing library staff interested in emerging technologies to a broad array of possibilities.  The day-long format of the Symposium will include two speakers and four breakout sessions as well as a poster session, and will conclude with a panel discussion.  Breakout sessions will be scheduled so that every attendee may attend three different sessions.  Don't miss it.  Register Today!<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51193&org_id=NEOL>
Don't Miss a Workshop or Webinar

New Supervisors Academy - 2nd Face to Face Workshop<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52728>
05/07/2019
A Day for Public Service<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51156>