[OPLINLIST] Database of the Month: Sanborn Maps

Laura Solomon laura at oplin.ohio.gov
Mon Nov 4 06:26:21 EST 2019

*The Sanborn Maps were originally created for assessing fire insurance
liability in urbanized areas in the United States. Our collection includes
over 40,000 detailed maps of Ohio cities drawn between 1882 and 1962. Each
map includes detailed information regarding town and building information.
Although these maps were originally published in color, our collection is
digitized from microfilm and is in black and white. *
YOU CAN USE THIS COLLECTION TO:

   - Locate the residences and workplaces of ancestors.
   - Understand the significance and historical evolution of buildings.
   - See what your town looked like in the past and how it has changed over
   time.

*Go there now: *http://ohioweblibrary.org/sanborn

*Get tip sheets, tutorials and more:*
https://oplin.ohio.gov/content/sanborn-maps

[image: sanborn_maps.png]
--
*Laura Solomon, MCIW, MLS*
*Library Services Manager,* Ohio Public Library Information Network (OPLIN)