[OPLINLIST] FW: NEO News: Adult Programming Palooza, Staff Development Conference, Small Libraries, & Last Circ Day

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Mon Nov 4 16:19:10 EST 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_5376479.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D5932B.96CF4320]
NEONews November 4, 2019
Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Executive Director
  *   Register for November and December
  *   Adult Programming Palooza: Summer Reading & More
  *   Continuing Education to Print and Share
  *   Last Day for Circ Staff
  *   Presenting 101
  *   Network with Other Small Libraries

Continuing Education to Print and Share
Don't miss an opportunity to share our one-page  CE @ a Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/1119_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf>  with your staff and colleagues.  Here are two other ways to view continuing education, by competency <https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/NEO-RLS_CE_By_Competency_0919.pdf> and by track<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/NEO-RLS_CE_By_Track_0919.pdf>. Take a look.
Last Day for Circ Staff
Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at Westlake Porter Public Library<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51164>
This year we are focusing on Understanding Your Myers-Briggs Personality Type and Body Language.
The Myers Briggs Type Indicator assessment is one of the most popular and well-known personality assessments today, taken by 80% of Fortune 500 companies and 89% of Fortune 100 companies according to the CPP. It allows you to understand your personality type and effectively use your unique strengths. It also helps you to appreciate and successfully navigate differences in communication, decision-making and problem-solving.

In the afternoon you will hone your skills even more by looking at one of the most significant and important elements of communication, namely nonverbal communication. You will learn about how essential it is to be aware of your nonverbal cues, and how you can learn to read the cues of others, both your colleagues and your patrons, in order to understand them more effectively.
Presenting 101
Have you been asked to present a breakout session at a conference, a short presentation about the library, a webinar or even a workshop?  Then this workshop is for you.  Join us at the Twinsburg Public Library on Thursday morning, November 14, 2019 <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53342> for this informative and interactive workshop.

Learning Objectives:

  *   Learn about the elements of a speech
  *   Keep your presentation engaging
  *   Work with your nerves
  *   Do’s and don’ts of Power Point

Network with Other Small Libraries
Here is an opportunity to talk with staff and management of small libraries.  Come and share your challenges and success stories.
Who:  Small Library Staff and Management
What:  Networking opportunity
Where:  Ashland Public Library
When:  Friday, November 8th -1:00 pm - 4:00 pm<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=54052>
A Note from the Executive Director
[https://neo-rls.org/photos/50177_03042019090623.jpg]This past Friday, November 1 st, we held our 7th Staff Development Conference (formerly known as Staff Day) with 136 people in attendance.  We were forced to try several new things this year due to a lack of availability in terms of dates and venues.  However, we are liking the changes!  To start with, we changed the venue from Kent State University’s Student Center to the Hilton Garden Inn, Twinsburg.  Pros – easier to get to, better parking, easier to navigate throughout the building, AND we had the place to ourselves. (We also think the food selection is much better!)  We held the Conference on a Friday instead of on Columbus Day.  Pros – nice way to end the week, more relaxed and not on a holiday.  The only con we could think of with these changes was that we can’t accommodate more than 150 attendees at the Hilton Garden Inn and every other year we have around 300+.  So, what to do?  Well, first we will read all of the evaluations to see if everyone who attended liked the venue and the day of the week.  If so, we decided we would take a note from the fact that we also opened up the Conference to individuals this year, allowing those that were interested to attend even if the entire staff of a library could not.   Pros – provided learning and networking opportunities to interested staff and those libraries did not have to close.  With this in mind, we are now thinking of having two Staff Development Conferences in 2020 so that no one has to close their library.  Libraries could choose to send part of the staff on one day and the other part on the other day or continue to attend together.  The NEO-RLS Staff Development Conference is a great way to take advantage of a wide variety of programs, all in one place, as well as a great opportunity to network with your colleagues.  We look forward to continuing to refine the Conference so that it benefits as many people as possible and hope to see you next year.

Betsy Lantz
Register for November and December

Kids and YA Book Buzz with Penguin Random House <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52979>
11/06/2019
Small Libraries Network<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=54052>
11/08/2019
Day for Circ Staff: It's All About Myers Briggs and Working as a Team<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51164>
11/12/2019
Creating a Culture of Yes<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53327>
11/13/2019
Presenting 101 <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53342>
11/14/2019
2019 Hottest Tech Toys for the Holidays<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53227>
11/15/2019
Facilitation Skills Workshop<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53226>
11/19/2019
The Unified Desk-Customer Service at Its Best <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53276>
11/20/2019
Teaching Better Behavior: Social-Emotional Learning in Library Programming<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53277>
11/21/2019
Spanish in a Pinch for Library Staff<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=54172>
12/04/2019
Unconscious Bias & Micro Messages <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53320>
12/05/2019
To Tag, or Not to Tag? Implementing RFID at Your Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=54173>
12/10/2019
Teen Programming: A Mover & Shaker's Recipe for Impact and Success<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=54134>
12/11/2019
Adult Programming Palooza: Summer Reading & More!<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=54960>
12/12/2019
Salary Survey Discussion: Fiscal Officers and Human Resources Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=54833>
12/13/2019

Adult Programming Palooza: Summer Reading & More

Looking to meet people who do what you do? Ready for a new networking experience? Join library staff members who are tasked with programming for the big kids - that’s right….the adults!

Where can this happen you ask? At the first Adult Programming Palooza held by NEO-RLS.  Your feet and your brain will be moving fast. The morning will consist of an opportunity to hear from other libraries and what they are offering for adult programs including this year’s summer reading program.  After lunch you will hear about the state summer reading theme, “Imagine Your Story,” from Janet Ingram Dwyer from the State Library of Ohio.  The day will end with a brainstorming of ideas for this year’s summer reading program.  Please join us on Thursday, December 12th at Stow-Munroe Falls Public Library<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=54960&org_id=NEOL>.
Template 1 - NEONews November 4, 2019