[OPLINLIST] NEO News:Scholarships, Summer Reading Stats, Archival Innovator Award, & A Day for Catalogers

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Mon Feb 10 15:04:17 EST 2020

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D5E023.5C908530]
NEONews February 10, 2020
Weekly Update

  *   A Note From the Executive Director
  *   It is Time to Register
  *   Creating and Maintaining a Summer Reading Database
  *   A Day for Catalogers
  *   Continuing Education to Print and Share
  *   Scholarships
  *   Archival Innovator Award

Continuing Education to Print and Share
New ways to receive continuing education information. Be sure to share this with your staff.
CE @ A Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0120_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf>.
Scholarships
The Ohio Valley Group of Technical Services Librarians (OVGTSL) is pleased to offer three library student scholarships and two diversity scholarships to attend the 2020 OVGTSL Annual Conference held in Akron, Ohio . Scholarships cover full conference registration and lodging for two nights (May 17 and 18).
University of Kentucky School of Information Science<https://ci.uky.edu/sis/>, Northern Ohio Technical Services Librarians<https://notsl.org/> (NOTSL), and OhioNET<https://www.ohionet.org/> have generously sponsored student scholarships. OhioNET<https://www.ohionet.org/> and NASIG <https://www.nasig.org/> have generously sponsored diversity scholarships.
Scholarship recipients will be required to submit a brief review of the conference and their experience within 30 days of the end of the conference.
Student Scholarships
Any full or part-time student enrolled at an ALA-accredited library/information science school in Indiana, Kentucky, or Ohio as of Spring 2020 (including those graduating in Spring 2020) is eligible to apply. Applicants are not required to reside in the Ohio Valley region.
Applicants should include a resume and a short statement (no more than 250 words) summarizing how they would benefit from attending this conference.
Apply: forms.gle/mpaAhe5T7wXGcs7x8
Diversity Scholarships
Diversity scholarships will be awarded to a library student or professional from underrepresented groups and marginalized identities, including but not limited to: people of color, LGBTQIA+, ability/disability, and others who are traditionally underrepresented in libraries. Any individual currently employed full or part time in the library field or enrolled full or part time in an ALA accredited library/information science graduate program is eligible to apply.
Applicants should include a resume and a short statement (no more than 250 words) summarizing how they would benefit from attending this conference.
Apply: forms.gle/JW3o4VU8Scu8sU838<http://forms.gle/JW3o4VU8Scu8sU838>
For more information about scholarships and the conference, visit<http://deaexchange.uakron.edu/ovgtsl2020/scholarships.html>.
Questions regarding scholarships may be directed to Erin Kilkenny <mailto:ekilkenny at ohiolink.edu> , Scholarship Chair:
Important Dates
Application Deadline:
March 2, 2020
Notification Deadline:
 March 16, 2020
Acceptance Deadline:
March 30, 2020
Archival Innovator Award
Know an archivist or institution who is contributing to the profession in creative or innovative ways? Think they should be recognized for their innovative work? Then nominate them for the SAA Archival Innovator Award!

Deadline: February 28, 2020

Purpose and Criteria for Selection:
Created in 2011, this award recognizes an individual archivist, a group of archivists, a repository, or an organization that demonstrates significant impact on the archives profession or within their communities.
Eligibility:
Presented to an archivist, group of archivists, repository, or organization for work undertaken within the past three years. The work need not be completed, but it must be sufficiently advanced to demonstrate results. Unsuccessful nominations from previous years are welcome!

For more information and to make a nomination, click  H<https://app.smarterselect.com/programs/45851-Society-Of-American-Archivists. > ERE<https://app.smarterselect.com/programs/45851-Society-Of-American-Archivists. >.

A Note From the Executive Director
[http://neo-rls.org/photos/59194_02102020090245.jpg]I have been thinking about why it is so easy sometimes to fall into a rut in your job.  A rut where you decide, without intentionally thinking about it, that it’s best to just keep doing something the way it has always been done. This happens to all of us to varying degrees, and it happens regardless of level of responsibility or type of responsibility. We convince ourselves that how we have been doing something is really the best way or the right way or the most efficient way or that there really isn’t any other way.  At a meeting outside of NEO-RLS the other day, someone commented on how those of us who work in libraries are particularly resistant to change and everyone laughed because it is a common perception.  So how do we change that?  How do we develop a different perception – one of openness to not just new trends and “sexy” ideas but to new processes, tasks, policies, etc.?  How do we create an overall library culture and infrastructure that constantly evaluates these things and takes the time to do so at all levels? How do we learn to say “yes” instead of “no?”  I know that time and low staffing levels are common reasons for not making changes but perhaps we have less time and inadequate staffing levels because we aren’t as willing to consider change as we could be.  If we are resistant to looking at these basic infrastructure items in light of new information, new situations, etc., we leave the door open to doing less than our best.  I challenge you to take a few minutes this week and think about your own willingness to change.  If you find that you have been resisting change, think about the impact on your co-workers and your community.  We will be doing the same at NEO-RLS so that we can continue to help you maximize library potential!  Enjoy your week!

Betsy Lantz
It is Time to Register

The Road to Copyright Clarity<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55604>
02/11/2020
New Supervisors' Academy<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55606>
02/13/2020
Gadgets and Gizmos: Exploring Technology for Youth<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55479>
02/19/2020
Creating and Maintaining a Summer Reading Database<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55625>
02/19/2020
Why SMART Goals <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55477>
02/20/2020
AOS Training and Fiscal Officer Network<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55746>
02/21/2020
EBSCO Do-It-Yourself Interfaces (Hobbies and Crafts, Home Improvement, and Small Business)<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55240>
02/25/2020
2020 Census and Libraries: Key Details and Strategies [Featured Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56287>
03/02/2020
The Return of Book Look<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55626>
03/03/2020
If It's Broke, Fix It: Handling Leftover Challenges Effectively<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55627>
03/04/2020
Enhancing Community Partnerships and Grant Writing<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55249>
03/05/2020
The Basics of Project Management<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55264>
03/10/2020
Encore Entrepreneurship: Serving 50+ Patrons<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55629>
03/11/2020
A Day for Catalogers <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55745>
03/12/2020
Leadership Academy<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55598>
03/19/2020
Human Resources Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56004>
03/20/2020
A Day for Public Service<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55599>
03/24/2020
Leveraging Libraries as a Resource for Immigrant and Refugee Neighbors<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55632>
03/25/2020
Next Level LEGOS <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55633>
03/26/2020
Budgeting Part 1: The Rules<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55636>
03/31/2020
Critical Conversations: Building Empathy to Build Community<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56282>
04/02/2020
Book Discussion Network<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56015>
04/03/2020
Northeast Ohio Teen Network Workshop<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55867>
04/07/2020
Effective Workplace Communication for New Supervisors<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55639>
04/08/2020

Creating and Maintaining a Summer Reading Database
Join us the afternoon of Wednesday, February 19, 2020 <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55625> at Kent Free Library to learn more about creating and maintaining a summer reading database.

In this workshop, library staff will get a peek at the Kent Free Library's Summer Reading Database, used for the first time in 2019.  Completely customizable to your needs, a summer reading database can help your library streamline registration and stats keeping-all without having to pay for an online program subscription.  See how Kent Free Library's system works for their library, and how it might work for yours!

Learning Objectives:

  *   How Microsoft Access can be used to mimic an online registration program
  *   How Access can be used to streamline summer reading record keeping and statistics
  *   How an Access database can be customized to suit your summer reading program
Presenter:  Caylee Heiremans  has been a Youth Services Librarian at Kent Free Library for 5 years. In addition to her work with databases, she performs music story time and leads diverse programming for children and teens of all ages.
A Day for Catalogers
Join your colleagues for A Day for Catalogers on Thursday, March 12, 2020 at the Twinsburg Public Library <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=55745&org_id=NEOL> where we will delve into Subject Analysis for Copy Catalogers and  Harm Reduction in Library Classification.

Respecting Authority: An Intro to Subject Analysis for Copy Catalogers  (Morning Session)
Learning objectives:

  *   Attendees will gain an introductory understanding of subject heading systems and basic rules for their application
  *   Attendees will acquire tools and workflows to assess the quality of subject headings in copy cataloging records
  *   We will discuss the role of cataloger's judgment and bias in subject cataloging

Presenter:  Misty Alvaro  is the Catalog Librarian for the Columbus Metropolitan Library. Misty has worked in public and technical services at a variety of library types including academic, public, and special libraries.

Harm Reduction in Library Classification (Afternoon Session)

Pernicious biases in subject headings and library classification schemes have been discussed at length, but how should our profession best address those biases? While resource description can never be neutral, using a harm reduction framework can help us identify potentially alienating terminology. Participants will learn how they can become active partners in democratizing classification to introduce more diverse perspectives.  Violet will talk about Dewey, LCC, and LCSH so both public and academic librarians will find something of interest in the presentation.

Presenter:  Violet Fox  is a library metadata expert and former cataloger. Her research interests include the ethical implications of library classification.
Template 1 - NEONews February 10, 2020