[OPLINLIST] NEO News: Customer Service Academy, ISeed Scholarship, SLP Grant and Maker Space Survey

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Wed Jan 15 09:14:30 EST 2020

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_5376479.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D5CB84.2F289CD0]
NEONews January 14, 2020
Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Executive Director
  *   Don't Miss a Workshop or a Webinar
  *   Continuing Education to Print and Share
  *   School of Information iSeed Scholarship
  *   Maker Space Survey
  *   SLP LSTA Grant

Continuing Education to Print and Share
New ways to receive continuing education information. Be sure to share this with your staff.
CE @ A Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0120_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf>
School of Information iSeed Scholarship

At the Kent State University School of Information, we put students first and believe that veterans and students from underrepresented backgrounds are an important part of our diverse community. In order to strengthen that community, we are pleased to offer the iSeed Scholarship. This $1,000 scholarship is available to students who are veterans and/or are from underrepresented groups in their first semester of the MLIS or MS program in the School of Information at Kent State. In order to be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must be admitted to the Kent State University MLIS or MS program. Applications can be made at any time, but will not be reviewed until after admission.

Interested students may complete the form at  http://bit.ly/iSchoolSeed  to be considered for the scholarship.

Maker Space Survey
Cherie Bronkar is collecting data on Makerspaces for an upcoming ALA publication. Please share the survey with ​anyone who works with library Makerspaces- Public, Academic or K-12, or contact Cherie at cbronkar at kent.edu<mailto:cbronkar at kent.edu> if you have questions.​
Take the survey,  Popular Programs in Makerspaces <https://forms.gle/34SQwawWysBrCgrV7> .
SLP LSTA Grant
The State Library of Ohio is pleased to announce the 2020 Summer Library Program <https://library.ohio.gov/services-for-libraries/lsta-grants/2020-summer-library-program-grant/?utm_source=list-oplin&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020slp-lsta-grant> (SLP) Grant in conjunction with the 2020 Collaborative Summer Library Program “Imagine Your Story” theme. The purpose of the grant program is to empower libraries to enhance their 2020 SLPs with library-led activities that spark creativity and productivity, engage individuals, and benefit their communities. Libraries may apply for up to $1500 in federal [stliboh.info/2bm]LSTA funds to support their SLP and need to provide a 25% local financial match of the total project cost.  Click HERE <https://library.ohio.gov/services-for-libraries/lsta-grants/2020-summer-library-program-grant/?utm_source=list-oplin&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020slp-lsta-grant> for more information.

Questions on the Ohio LSTA grant process should be emailed to  Cindy Boyden,<mailto:cboyden at library.ohio.gov> or call 800-686-1532 or 614-644-6863.

Questions on the Summer Library Program should be emailed to
Janet Ingraham Dwyer<mailto:jdwyer at library.ohio.gov> or call 800-686-1532 or 614-644-6910.
A Note from the Executive Director
[https://neo-rls.org/photos/50177_03042019090623.jpg]Happy New Year!  Included among my resolutions for 2020 is a renewed emphasis on customer service.  It is so easy to become complacent when dealing with those that you serve and work with regularly.  It’s easy to think everything is okay, until you find out that it actually isn’t!  Customer service is one of the most frequently requested training topics  we get as it impacts dramatically on a library’s ability to serve its community.  This is true in a public library, academic library, special or school library and across all levels of staff.  In fact, no one in a library is exempt from providing excellent customer service.  To that end, NEO-RLS has constructed a year-long Academy which you can tailor to your interests. We hope the offerings will inspire you to enhance your customer service skills whether you are new to the library scene or an experienced professional.  The Academy consists of face-to-face workshops and a variety of webinars covering a number of different topics, all designed to help you provide more effective service, whatever your position.  Library staff in the NEO-RLS region who wish to participate in the Academy will be required to attend 2 of the designated face-to- face [https://neo-rls.org/photos/CSABrand2020.png] events and 4 of the designated webinars during the 2020 calendar year in order to receive a Customer Service Academy Certificate of Completion.  The workshops and webinars that qualify bear a new CSA logo.

The Academy is also open to library staff outside of the NEO-RLS region.  Anyone is welcome to attend the face-to-face events but we realize it may not be practical if you reside outside our region or in a different state.  Therefore, those outside the NEO-RLS region will be required to attend 8 designated webinars (a minimum of 5 must be live webinars with approved archived webinars eligible for the remainder) during the 2020 calendar year in order to receive an Online Training Certificate.

Perfect your skills and add to your resume by participating.  Interested?  Check out our new webpage<https://www.neo-rls.org/new_-_customer_service_academy.php>!

Betsy Lantz
Don't Miss a Workshop or a Webinar

Copyright Basics for Librarians<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55241>