[OPLINLIST] Continuing Education Roundup - Issue 4

marshams at library.ohio.gov marshams at library.ohio.gov
Thu Jul 9 13:54:00 EDT 2020

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D655F8.54054450]
CONTINUING EDUCATION ROUNDUP

For Ohio Library Staff
July 9, 2020
Vol. 1, Issue 4
Click here to read in web browser and download PDF.<https://library.ohio.gov/documents/continuing-education-roundup-for-ohio-library-staff-v1-i4/>
[cid:image003.jpg at 01D655F8.54054450]
In this issue:

* Introduction

* Promoting Anti-Racism

* Articles, websites, and webinars

Introduction
The past month has been wrought with pain, protest, anger, and a call for change. These are not new issues, new pain, or new problems.  What are we doing as a mostly-white profession to address systemic racism brought to light by Black Lives Matter and other social justice movements, both inside and outside the library walls? What can we do to promote anti-racism work in professional development, public programming, policies, and our spaces? There are so many questions out there and it's up to us to use our amazing research, leadership, and reading skills to do the work. There are so many resources and trainings circulating-see  just a few in the list to the right.

Check out issues #1-#3 of the Continuing Education Roundup at library.ohio.gov/services-for-libraries/ training-and-professional-development/ce-roundup-ohio-library-staff/<https://library.ohio.gov/services-for-libraries/training-and-professional-development/ce-roundup-ohio-library-staff/>. Thanks for reading!  Email me at ekelsey at library.ohio.gov<mailto:ekelsey at library.ohio.gov> if you have ideas, articles, or topics for future Continuing Education Roundup issues.

Stay safe and stay well,
Erin Kelsey

Photo by James Eades
Webinars and Articles With New Information & Ideas About Promoting Anti-Racism
Letter from CEO of OhioNET<https://www.ohionet.org/blog/2020/06/executive-director-%E2%80%94>-Nancy Kirkpatrick to the Ohio Library community. Not only does this statement contain heartfelt words from a leader in our field, but also links to awesome resources and a call to action.

Recorded Webinar-Working for Justice, Equity, and Civic Agency in Our Schools: a Conversation with Clint Smith<https://www.facinghistory.org/professional-development/ondemand/working-justice-equity-and-civic-agency-our-schools-conversation>. You will have to set up a free account to access the on-demand recording.

Library Journal article: Antiracism in Librarianship | ALA Virtual 2020<https://www.libraryjournal.com/?detailStory=antiracism-in-librarianship-ala-virtual-2020&utm_source=Marketing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=july7LJXpress>-This article highlights some of the ideas and themes from important antiracism sessions at ALA Virtual 2020.

The Ohio Digital Library<https://ohdbks.overdrive.com/collection/1091662>-has a collection of books and audiobooks on anti-racism. Some titles have no wait!

ALA's Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion-Libraries Respond: Black Lives Matter.<http://www.ala.org/advocacy/diversity/librariesrespond/black-lives-matter>

NPR article on How Libraries are Supporting Black Lives Matter<https://www.npr.org/2020/06/13/876521968/how-libraries-are-supporting-the-black-lives-matter-movement>
Anti-Racism Resource Guide<https://www.antiracismresourceguide.org/>-one of the MANY out there.

Disrupting Whiteness in Libraries and Librarianship<https://www.library.wisc.edu/gwslibrarian/bibliographies/disrupting-whiteness-in-libraries/>-Created in 2019 and updated in June of 2020.

Doing the Work Externally and Internally: Race, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion<https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/doing-the-work-race-equity-diversity-inclusion.html>- a Webjunction webinar from December 2019. Helpful webinar with lots of resources shared.

As libraries are in different phases of reopening around the state, I hope you are all staying safe and healthy during this time. Here are a few links to remember:

* The State Library of Ohio's COVID Information and Resources<https://library.ohio.gov/coronavirus-information-resources/#ForLibraries>-This includes links to government resources, library webinars and articles from a variety of professional organizations, and resources helpful to all Ohioans.

* Ryan Dowd's Homelessness Training
Academic libraries can now access the homelessness core training and recorded webinars. There is a webinar<https://library.ohio.gov/services-for-libraries/training-and-professional-development/ryan-dowd-libraries-homelessness-available-niche-academy/#LiveWebinars> coming up July 23 about dealing with library patrons who are not kind to patrons experiencing homelessness. Visit the information page<https://library.ohio.gov/services-for-libraries/training-and-professional-development/ryan-dowd-libraries-homelessness-available-niche-academy/> to learn more and click the link to create an account to access the training.

* Prioritize Staff Mental Health when Reopening<http://publiclibrariesonline.org/2020/06/prioritizing-staff-mental-health-when-reopening/>-from Patrick Lloyd, MSW in Public Libraries Online.

Erin Kelsey, Library Consultant, State Library of Ohio
274 E. 1st Avenue, Columbus, OH 43201
Tel: 614.644-6889
Email: ekelsey at library.ohio.gov<mailto:ekelsey at library.ohio.gov>
library.ohio.gov