[OPLINLIST] FW: NEO-RLS News: Call for (Virtual) Posters, Customer Service, Community and Family Support Youth

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Mon Jun 22 15:48:45 EDT 2020

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<https://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_7237585.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D648AC.9BCE9470]
NEO-RLS News-June 22, 2020
Weekly Updates

  *   A Note from the Executive Director, Betsy Lantz
  *   REALM Project Update
  *   CE at a Glance is Back
  *   Connecting with Community and Families in Support of Youth
  *   July and August Continuing Education
  *   Call for (Virtual) Posters
  *   Viewing Recordings
  *   Hoopla Collection
  *   Updated Help Center at the Enhanced Midwest Tape Website
  *   FREE News Literacy Instruction Workshop for Ohio Librarians
  *   ALA Virtual Book Award Celebration

A Note from the Executive Director, Betsy Lantz
[https://neo-rls.org/photos/59194_02102020090245.jpg]

Yesterday I read a New York Times article from a couple of weeks ago on the reopening of libraries.   The article talked not only about what libraries across the country (including our own Twinsburg Public Library) were doing to reopen safely and serve their customers but also about how the pandemic has understandably created a shift in service models moving forward.  Where there was a continuing preference for print materials, customers are now moving out of necessity toward e-resources.  Where libraries as place were evolving into true community centers, there is now a need to maintain that momentum while evolving into virtual community centers.  From what we've seen in our region, our state, and throughout the country, our libraries and supporting organizations are up to the task of evolving quickly.  The skills needed for change are also shifting and for that reason NEO-RLS continues to provide new learning opportunities ( Communication Strategies: Working with the Deaf Community <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=58249&org_id=NEOL> ) and appropriately updated learning opportunities ( Ditch the Drama: Strategies for Peak Performance:  More Peace, Less Drama <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=57743&org_id=NEOL> ).  Customer service is more critical than ever for serving our communities effectively and for maintaining those connections.  I invite you to participate in some, or all, of the many webinars that are part of the Customer Service Academy <https://www.neo-rls.org/update_-_customer_service_acad.php> .  Together we really are maximizing library potential!  Stay well and enjoy your week!

Betsy Lantz

REALM Project Update
Shared on behalf of Janet Ingrahamm Dwyer
REALM Project partners OCLC and IMLS have announced the results of the first round of Battelle's laboratory testing of the virus that causes COVID-19 on commonly circulated library materials. The five materials tested in this round included a hardback book cover (buckram cloth), paperback book cover, plain paper pages inside a book, plastic protective book covering, and a DVD case.

The results show that the SARS-CoV-2 virus was not detectable on the materials after three days of quarantine.

Read More<http://www.neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/article_166054815.htm>
CE at a Glance is Back
Please take moment to share CE at a Glance <https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0620_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf> with your staff.  There is something for everyone.
Connecting with Community and Families in Support of Youth
Wednesday, July 22nd at 2 pm<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=58048&org_id=NEOL>
[https://neo-rls.org/photos/62967_05222020161210.jpg]Ask yourself, how am I connecting with community partners and families while libraries are closed and social distancing is enforced?  Your answer might be, "I'm not" or "Our connections are very limited."  In this webinar you'll explore how to build and maintain relationships with community members, organizations, stakeholders, and families during COVID-19 and build ideas for keeping those relationships strong when library services are re-launched in your community.

Read More<http://www.neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/article_165889845.htm>
July and August Continuing Education

Outreach Virtual Networking Meeting <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=57858>
06/23/2020
Tabletop RPGs (Role Playing Games) for Teens Done Virtually<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=58047>
06/23/2020
Mental Health Issues and Your Library: An Introduction<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55861>
06/24/2020
The Customer Service Experience <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=57611>
06/30/2020

See More<http://www.neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/article_165892289.htm>
Call for (Virtual) Posters
[https://neo-rls.org/sn/22183_06172020121556.jpg]Have a great technology program, project, service or event that you have implemented at your library and would like to feature? Share it through a virtual poster session as part of the 2020 Emerging Technology Symposium in September! Throughout the month of September, we will be highlighting projects and programs that use technology to bring innovative services to our communities and libraries.

Read More<http://www.neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/article_165888623.htm>
Viewing Recordings
[http://neo-rls.org/photos/Download.png]NEO-RLS hosts all of its archived webinars in Drop Box.  When you click on the video and view it in Drop Box it will only allow you to view 60 minutes.  Some of our archived webinars are longer due to questions at the end or due to the scheduled length of the program.  To ensure that you are able to view archived recordings in full, please download the video by clicking on the down arrow next to "Sign In" as seen here.  This box will be found in the right hand corner of your screen.
Hoopla Collection
Now more than ever, patrons are looking to their libraries to help provide insight and support with respect to topics including diversity, anti-racism, and race as a whole.  Your community members may be challenged in having these conversations as well as having an interest in becoming more informed overall. Hoopla has developed collections featuring a variety of content on the aforementioned topics:

Read More<http://www.neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/article_165884957.htm>
Updated Help Center at the Enhanced Midwest Tape Website
[https://neo-rls.org/photos/46102_06252018140047.jpg]Midwest Tape is Here for Libraries. To help you navigate and get the most out of our expanded website, we have updated our  Help & Support Center <https://go.midwesttape.com/e/279222/help-/gkxp4/705127329?h=QC7pGJiQym76bG1v3PP9gBD8oxl44X3ub6FhQ8Bq3Uw>  with even more great support content.  Click here <https://go.midwesttape.com/webmail/279222/705127329/8285aae5e3169a47e53e5ca73d143954f443390f6bbc7127bac54188cf901487> for more information.
FREE News Literacy Instruction Workshop for Ohio Librarians
There has never been more information (and misinformation!) available to library users. Teaching news media literacy has never been more challenging.   But the News Literacy Instruction Workshop for Ohio Librarians is here to help!   This online workshop will consist of a series of modules to be completed on your own beginning September 9th and two live sessions on September 16th and 21st .

Read More<http://www.neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/article_165887401.htm>
ALA Virtual Book Award Celebration
[http://neo-rls.org/photos/ALA.png]The American Library Association is hosting an 11-hour virtual event to celebrate the winners of several of its major book awards, including the Newbery and Caldecott medals, the Coretta Scott King Book Awards, the Printz Award, and the Stonewall youth and adult book awards.

Read More<http://www.neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/article_165926505.htm>
Template 11 - NEO-RLS News-June 22, 2020