[OPLINLIST] Drive-in storytime

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Jun 25 15:07:23 EDT 2020

Cross-posted to OPLINList and OPLINTECH:

Peering into the crystal ball, it seems that the next few years could
possibly be harder than usual...perhaps even permanently make-or-break for
some, especially smaller, libraries. Online storytimes and other programs
that leverage the internet are a good temporary short-term stop-gap measure
for keeping the library in the local community's minds, but I think it
could have a net negative effect for small/mid-sized libraries after
several months.

I remember as a kid calling in to a local library and listening to the
weekly stories over the phone. I enjoyed that. I'm wondering if anyone has
done a version of that using an FCC Part 15 (permitted unlicensed) AM or FM
transmitter. They seem to be a reasonably priced and quite achievable way
to attract people specifically to a local library for a drive-in style
visit. You could have regularly scheduled times for staff-read stories,
either live or pre-recorded and played at various intervals. You could have
contests to highlight local authors (both child and adult) and have their
stories read. I'm sure there's a bunch of other good ideas out there. *Most
importantly*, being a very short-range broadcast limited pretty much to
your parking lot and/or building, people are required to visit the library
to participate (to the parking lot at the very least...regardless of
whether or not the library is open for normal business.) It enhances the
library's specific value to the local community come levy time and has none
of the negatives that an internet-based storytime program has like
disassociating a potential or casual patron from your specific library.

Has anyone done this with an FCC Part 15 AM/FM transmitter? What kind of
issues did you encounter/overcome? What kind of programs did you implement
and seem to work well? (children storytimes, adult storytimes, contestes,
other ideas/uses?)

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/low-power-radio-general-information

>From a quick Google search about Part 15 transmitters available to purchase:
https://www.hobbybroadcaster.net/resources/Part-15-transmitters.php
(Not an endorsement of any kind for the website nor any transmitter or
manufacturer you might find there...do your own homework!!)

*I am no longer responding off-list to topical replies sent only/directly
to me.*
*Libraries have a wonderfully amazing reputation for openness and sharing,
a concept I support and encourage. **Your thoughts are useful and valuable.
As always, I beg you to share them publicly so that other libraries can
benefit from them and participate in a conversation**.*

*Chad Neeper*
Senior Systems Engineer

*Level 9 Networks*
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in public libraries*