[OPLINLIST] VIRTUAL: An Evening with Maria Hinojosa, Author of Once I Was You

Polly Reynolds polly.reynolds at hudson.lib.oh.us
Sat Sep 12 10:26:20 EDT 2020

VIRTUAL: An Evening with Maria Hinojosa, Author of Once I Was You
<https://engagedpatrons.org/EventsExtended.cfm?SiteID=3850&EventID=416740&PK=>

On Tuesday, September 15 at 7 p.m. the Hudson Library & Historical Society will host a live virtual streaming event with author Maria Hinojosa, Emmy Award-winning journalist and host of NPR’s Latino USA, who will discuss her new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America. Hinojosa will speak in conversation with journalist Sarah Smarsh, author of Heartland: A Memoir of Working Hard and Being Broke in the Richest Country on Earth, which was a finalist for the National Book Award.

In this beautifully-rendered memoir, Hinojosa relates the history of US immigration policy as she shares her deeply personal story. Publisher’s Weekly, in a starred review, calls Once I Was You “a powerful memoir that doubles as an essential immigration primer.” Gloria Steinem calls the book “a searingly honest memoir by one of this country’s most accomplished women, an inside view of the media, and a fact-filled indictment of our treatment of immigrants over time.”

Hinojosa is the anchor and executive producer of NPR’s Latino USA and was anchor of the Emmy Award-winning talk show Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One and a senior correspondent for NOW on PBS. She has reported hundreds of important stories—from the immigrant work camps in NOLA after Katrina, to teen girl victims of sexual harassment on the job, to Emmy Award-winning stories of the poor in Alabama, and has won top honors in American journalism including multiple Emmy Awards, the John Chancellor Award for Excellence in Journalism, the Robert F. Kennedy Award and the Edward R. Murrow Award.

Copies of Once I Was You will be available for purchase courtesy of the Learned Owl Book Shop. Registration for this program is required and a valid email address is required at time of registration. Participants will receive an email invitation to attend the program, hosted on Zoom, a day before the program begins. If you have any questions, please email askus at hudson.lib.oh.us or call (330) 653-6658 x1010.

Polly Reynolds
Head of Adult Services & Archives
Hudson Library & Historical Society
96 Library St.