[OPLINLIST] FW: NEO-RLS News: New Supervisors' Academy Registration Open, New Classes Added & More

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Wed Jan 10 17:25:44 EST 2024

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Newsletter%20Header%20Update.png]

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Top%2023%20Titles%20of%202023%20slide.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252838811&mm=88538039815>

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Melissa%202.jpg]

A Note From the
Continuing Education Coordinator

We are excited to start the next New Supervisors’ Academy.  We have made some changes this year per the suggestions from past attendees.  This academy begins on Thursday, February 22, 2024<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252840033&mm=88538039815>, at the Twinsburg Public Library and ends in October. The academy consists of 6 in-person classes and 4 webinars. Programs will focus on three key areas: leadership, communication and staff development. The Academy is appropriate for new supervisors in multi-type libraries and for those who want a refresher.

We kick off the academy with It All Starts with Attitude and Knowing Yourself, the second day focuses on Changing the Course without Rocking the Boat and Resolving Conflict through Trust and Team Building, followed by Leading with Assurance: Decision-Making and Effective Supervision, and a webinar on Time Management Yours and Theirs. In June we have another in-person session concentrating on HR Stuff Every New Supervisor Should Know along with Interviewing Techniques for New Supervisors, then another webinar where you will learn Practical Budget Management: How to Avoid Disaster, Make Smart Moves, Report Responsibly, and Stress Less About your Budget. We are in person in August discussing Setting Performance Goals and Evaluations and Performance Planning, the last webinar is all about Prioritizing Self-care.  We end the academy by Boosting Your Leadership Self Confidence.

Last year’s participants had this to say:

"This was a great program. I enjoyed meeting everyone who also attended. The conversations and exercises were extremely helpful. My boss has already said he has seen an improvement in my leadership skills thanks to this program."

"I ABSOLUTELY loved this series and think NEO-RLS did an amazing job of offering varied topics that pertain to new supervisors!"

Click this event link <https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252840033&mm=88538039815> for a complete description of the New Supervisors’ Academy, seating is limited to 30 so don’t delay.

Have a great day,

Melissa

2024 Continuing Education

January

Gamifying the Onboarding Process<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252841255&mm=88538039815>

1/18/2024

Weeders Attract More Readers<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252842477&mm=88538039815>

1/23/2024

Calm Challenging Patrons: How to Navigate Difficult Interactions<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=113068&org_id=NEOL>

1/24/2024

So, You Want to be a Manager?<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252844921&mm=88538039815>

1/25/2024

Top 23 Titles of 2023<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252838811&mm=88538039815>

1/31/2024

Trans History Linked! : An Introduction to the Digital Transgender Archive<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252846143&mm=88538039815>

1/31/2024

February

Teen Summer Reading Program: Adventure Begins at Your Library<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252847365&mm=88538039815>

2/1/2024

Adult SRP: Adventure Begins at Your Library<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=113051&org_id=NEOL>

2/8/2024

NEW-Addressing Microaggressions<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252849809&mm=88538039815>

2/13/2024

Leading Through Transitions<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252851031&mm=88538039815>

2/14/2024

Using EXCEL for Employee Accountability<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252852253&mm=88538039815>

2/15/2024

NEW-Library Bootcamp: Unlocking the World of Youth Services in Public Libraries<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252853475&mm=88538039815>

2/21/2024

NEW-New Supervisors' Academy<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252840033&mm=88538039815>

2/22/2024

Staff Wellness Virtual Roundtable<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252854697&mm=88538039815>

2/27/2024

Living Well With Dementia: The Dementia Inclusive Public Library Guide<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252855919&mm=88538039815>

2/28/2024

March

If I Hear the Letters "AI" One More Time...<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252857141&mm=88538039815>

3/7/2024

Academic Library Directors In-Person Networking Meeting<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252858363&mm=88538039815>

3/8/2024

 NEW-Creating an Inclusive Workplace<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252859585&mm=88538039815>

3/14/2024

The Science of Reading: You Don’t Have to be a Scientist to Understand It<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252860807&mm=88538039815>

3/20/2024

Dementia Friends for Libraries Training<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252862029&mm=88538039815>

3/26/2024

NEW-Preventing Burnout and Fatigue<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252863251&mm=88538039815>

3/27/2024

April

Canva Basics<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252864473&mm=88538039815>

4/23/2024

 New programs are being added daily watch the website for more programs.

[View Full Calendar]

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Teen%20SRP%202024%20Slide.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252847365&mm=88538039815>

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Announcements.jpg]

DONT' FORGET THAT THE 2024-2025 NEO-RLS LETTER OF INTENT IS DUE!

Please return your Letter of Intent if you have not already done so. The Letter is critical to our budgeting process.  Please email Ragan Snead if you need a new copy of your Letter of Intent. Thanks for your assistance!

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Trans%20History%20Linked%20slide.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252846143&mm=88538039815>

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/State%20Library%20of%20Ohio.jpg]

State Library of Ohio is pleased to host a workshop from the Space Science Institute

A Total Solar Eclipse in 2024 is coming to Ohio on April 8, 2024– now is the time for public library staff to plan programs! Thanks to a grant from the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation and a supplement to the NASA@ My Library Project, the Space Science Institute’s STARNet team is providing 5 million solar viewing glasses, in-person training workshops, solar science circulation kits, and print resources.

Parts of Ohio will be in the path of totality in the Total Solar Eclipse in 2024, and the State Library of Ohio is pleased to host a workshop from the Space Science Institute’s STARNet team on February 21, 2024. Registration is now open for the in-person workshop. Register here<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252866917&mm=88538039815>.

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Addressing%20Microagressions%20Feb%2024%20slide.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252849809&mm=88538039815>

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/NEO-RLS%20Community%20Picks%20Logo.png]

Recommended by Christopher M. Benson, Akron-Summit County Public Library

You asked for works "related to libraries, professional development, self-care, or just an amazing work of fiction" that "inspired and influenced" me. I cannot forget Oyasumi Punpun, a manga series by Inio Asano.

Goodnight Punpun is simple and complex. It is the story of a Japanese boy trying desperately to be happy. It is the story of a depressed man broken by the world. It is the story of a woman whose future was stolen from her. It is the story of an abused girl lashing back at the world. It is the story of an insane boy revealing reality is what is crazy. It is the story of an apocalyptic cult. It is the end; it is the beginning; it is all of these and more.

Contains images and descriptions of sexual assault, non-sexual assault, abuse, murder, death, gore, suicidal ideation, suicidal attempts, insanity, hallucinations, cults, and more. Definitely not for the squeamish or sane.

First volume is 9781421586205. More information at https://myanimelist.net/manga/4632/Oyasumi_Punpun<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252868139&mm=88538039815>.

Do not read Oyasumi Punpuni if you want to be happy.

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Adult%20SRP%202024%20Slide.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252848587&mm=88538039815>

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/NIOTSL.jfif]

 NOTSL Scholarship Application deadline is January 16, 2024

Applications for the 2024 Northern Ohio Technical Services Librarians (NOTSL) Scholarships are now being accepted. Scholarship(s) will be awarded at the discretion of the NOTSL Scholarship Committee, not to exceed $1500, depending upon need and number of applicants.

Applicants must either be currently working in an Ohio library in a professional, paraprofessional, or support position in a technical services area, or be students (residing or studying in Ohio) currently taking coursework in librarianship. The content of the proposed educational activity must relate to technical services, cataloging, serials, acquisitions, preservation, processing or management of technical services. Typically funded activities can include costs for workshops, conferences, coursework, and professional meetings, but not training required by an employer. Applicants must specify dates, the nature and the cost of the proposed activity in order for the NOTSL Scholarship Committee to properly determine eligibility and the allocation of funds.

Scholarship funds should be spent one year from the date they are received. Once the educational activity is complete, scholarship winners will submit a brief summary of their activities, which will be posted on the NOTSL web page. The deadline for submissions is January 16, 2024, and recipients will receive notification no later than February 29, 2024. For more information and to apply, please use the submission form<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252869361&mm=88538039815>.

Please send questions to Jody Perkins, Scholarship Committee Chair, at perkintj at miamioh.edu<mailto:perkintj at miamioh.edu>

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Account%20White%20Background.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252870583&mm=88538039815>
[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/CE%20White%20Background.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252887691&mm=88538039815>
[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Jobline.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=252873027&mm=88538039815>