[OPLINTECH] Access Management Software

Don Yarman yarmando@oplin.org
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 09:54:21 -0500

Jim Kenzig wrote:

> I find it amazing that libraries continue to try to do
> whatever they can to make it difficult for their patron to
> use their equipment and get the information they need.

I don't think that's a fair characterization.  Libraries
are investigating ways to automate what they have to
do manually.  At my small suburban public library, the
reference librarians found that their jobs had become
the same as restaurant hostesses:  taking names and
maintaining the computer schedule.  When we instituted
automated time controls on the computers, the librarians
could stop doing it manually.  As kludgy as the time-
control system was, it made me a hero to the reference
staff.

Not all libraries can pay for the technology skills
enjoyed by the metropolitan libraries.  It is far cheaper
to buy a product that does what you need it to do than to
pay for a person who understands Windows policies.  (But
you're right, Jim:  Windows profiles can handle the
security that Mindy is looking for).

I'll second Jim's recommendation of Public Web Browser
(http://teamsoftware.bizland.com).  (In fact, I'm
talking to them about getting the product licensed for
the whole state.  No promises yet).

     Your most humble and obedient servant,

                          Don Yarman
                          OPLIN Library Services Manager