[OPLINTECH] Survey re: Printers and scanning

James Guilford James.Guilford@westlakelibrary.org
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:24:22 -0500

Greg Syferd wrote:

> 1) For color printing (staff and public) are you using laser or
> inkjets?

For staff we currently have a limited number of color inkjets for
Administration and Coordinators, a large format inkjet HP 1700 printer
(11 X 17) that is networked, and a (donated) networked Xerox Tektronics
Phaser color printer. No color printer is currently available to the
public but if we do decide to offer color to the public, it will be a
networked laser printer operated through our stored value card system
(LPT:One). The color lasers from Minolta and HP both look good but we're
not planning to acquire one soon.

> 2) Has anyone had experience with multi-function units and wants to
> recommend/not recommend a particular unit?

For staff (only) we have a number of networked Minolta Pi1501
printer/copiers. These machines have proved to be excellent making good
copies and prints with decent speed. General staff don't have individual
printers in their back office areas, just one machine serving the whole
office. The copier feature saves a lot of trips to the copy room in our
very large building. I'd recommend these highly. Downside is that
Minolta doesn't offer recycling of their print cartridges the way HP does.

We have no scanners available to the public at this time though we are
regularly asked for them. We may add one or more, but dread the support
issues that will arise. We have two scanners available to staff with one
dedicated to our P.R. associate for publications work and have not
investigated the use of a scanning feature on a multi-functional device.
A large-format scanner will be added as a component of a local history
digitization project.

--
James Guilford, Technology Associate