[OPLINTECH] Roadrunner

Karen Perone peroneka@oplin.org
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:16:24 -0400

We just converted to Road Runner this past week. We were venturing into
territory that was new to us so we hired a third party to install the
internal connection between our branch and the main library - where
Roadrunner stops their installation inside the branch.

Road Runner gave us 2 static IP addresses with our Business Class SoHo
Static Tier account. Connection times are supposed to be 1 mbps down and
256 kbps up. In any case MUCH faster than the 56 Kbps line we had
previously been using for the 6 computers at our branch.

Business Class service has priority over residential service for repairs
as well but check with your representative to be sure. Bandwidth is not
shared with other customers with business accounts so they can guarantee
connection speeds more assuredly.

We installed a VPN connection between the branch and the main library so
that the traffic to the Internet looks like it is part of our main network.

So far, so good :-)

--
Karen Perone              peroneka@oplin.org
Systems Coordinator