[OPLINTECH] web site problem

Roger O. Young roger@wcplib.lib.oh.us
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:49:12 -0500

We are experiencing difficulty with our web site, and it has been one tough
cookie trying to solve the problem.  The site was working with no problems
until December of 2003.  I don't know if a Microsoft Windows update is
responsible for the crash, but I suspect that possibility.

(We host our web site on our server)

Symptoms:

On our web page, active server pages and cgi pages no longer work.  Here is
the error message:
HTTP 403.1 Forbidden: Execute Access Forbidden
Internet Information Services

  a.. Background:
  You have attempted to execute a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable program
from a directory that does not allow programs to be executed.
In the server's log file, we find messages like these:

Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions:

(OS Error #5 Message: Access is denied.)

Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions:

  http://www.wcplib.lib.oh.us - Error #20002 Message: Cannot open file
"Cassette.bmp" for writing.

A concomitant problem is experienced by our webmaster. When she opens
FrontPage, she gets this error message:

"Server error: The server extensions were unable to access the file:''\\(our
server name)\Public\wwwroot\_vti_pvt\service.lck". Please check the file
permissions.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks

Roger O. Young