[OPLINTECH] Direct Linking to OPLIN databases

Don Yarman yarmando@oplin.org
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:08:19 -0500

Jeffrey Franklin wrote:

> I am having some trouble linking to a few of the OPLIN
> databases from our website.  The ones that won't link are:
>
> Art and Architecture DB
> Literature DB's
> Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps

These resources are hosted by OhioLINK, and access
to them is a little different than to the other databases
available from OPLIN.  OhioLINK ~only~ authenticates
access from referring URL; that is, you must "get to"
those resources from particular web pages that OhioLINK
knows about and approves.  Users coming directly from
your own site won't be recognized.

To solve this, we created some "click through" pages
at OPLIN that OhioLINK approved.

	Art & Architecture Database
	http://www.oplin.org/databases/artstart.htm

	Literature Databases
	http://www.oplin.org/databases/litstart.htm

	Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps
	http://www.oplin.org/databases/mapstart.htm

If you link to those, and then click on the link to
proceed, you'll be passed along to the resources,
or asked to authenticate for remote access.

This might be a good time to mention that when we
launch the new OPLIN website this spring, those "cfm"
links to resources will change.  I don't know what
the new link syntax will be (that's currently in
flux).  We expect to unveil the new site for general
viewing in April, with at least a full month's transition
time before the old links stop working.

     Your most humble and obedient servant,

                          Don Yarman
                          OPLIN Library Services Manager