[OPLINTECH] Desktops on Bookmobiles

JKENZIG JKENZIG@cuyahoga.lib.oh.us
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:11:46 -0400

Why not use XP embedded thin clients? Neoware, Compaq, Wyse and Netx all
make them.
We use NetX here at CCPL in our branches and they are rugged small boxes.
http://www.netxinc.com  Netx also has a new system that has a "go back" type
of feature that resets the unit back to your default settings.  Contact
there is Keith Salstein.

Regards,
Jim Kenzig
Network Manager
Cuyahoga County Public Library

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Miller [mailto:millerst@oplin.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 9:07 AM
To: oplintech@oplin.org
Subject: [OPLINTECH] Desktops on Bookmobiles

All -

I have a few questions about bookmobiles and technology....

In mobile units, why would one choose a desktop system over a laptop?

Are any hardware cost-savings (from using desktop vs notebook) lost in
special adaptations, such as anti-vibration or stabilization hardware?

Is the amount of workspace affected as much as one would think with a
monitor/keyboard/mouse/barcode wand  vs a single-unit laptop?

I can see the benefits of cheap small-form-factor machines, but am concerned
about vibration and wobbling increasing wear-and-tear.  The notebooks
currently in use are approaching the 5-year mark, and service calls have
been increasing.  We would hope that whichever system replaces them, that we
could get another five years out if it.  I'm just not sure a desktop system
(without padding) could do that.

('course the armored tough-books are attractive, too...)

Any thoughts or experiences you'd like to share?

Steve
Steve Miller, Technology Coordinator
Ashtabula County District Library
335 W. 44th Street, Ashtabula, OH 44004
millerst@oplin.org
(440) 997-9341 x239 / fax (440) 998-1198
Opinions expressed are my own.