[OPLINTECH] Library Wireless HotSpot

Tom Belanger tbelanger@wayne.lib.oh.us
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:18:28 -0400

Carol,

 Wayne County Public Library plans to install a wireless hotspot on a VPN in
the near future.  I had looked at several proxy server solutions and they
could not block a computer unless the browser settings were changed to point
to the proxy.
We are testing the iPrism web blocking appliance and it appears to solve the
wireless issue. We have configured our router using the WCCP protocol which
directs all web traffic to the appliance. This also solved the problem of
blocking computers located at our branch libraries. This eliminated the need
to configure every browser client. Also, the WCCP protocol has a fail safe
feature--if the appliance fails or is powered down traffic is routed
normally bypassing the appliance.
Their website is http://www.stbernard.com.

Their support has been great in helping us with our setup.

Tom Belanger
Technology Coordinator
Wayne County Public Library
330-262-0916 Ext 260