[OPLINTECH] Re: OPLINTECH: Wireless Library HotSpot

Patricia Fonseca pfonseca@ccpl.lib.oh.us
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:21:20 -0400

We use WAM (Wireless Access Manager) integrated with our Polaris
integrated library system. WAM is an "out of the box" package that GIS
Information Systems configured and installed on one of our Windows 2003
servers.

Patrons with laptops / handhelds with wireless 802.11B or 802.11G cards
can access our catalog or the internet by using their library card
number for authentication.   On the screen where the patron enters their
barcode number, there is wording about agreeing to our Internet Access
policy, the library not being liable, etc., etc.

It is essentially RADIUS server software which then interfaces with SIP2
to perform the authentication.   Access points can be any brand/type
that you choose but there must be a D-Link DSA-3100 for each location
you want to deploy WAM at.   We use Lynksys access points.  A single
DSA-3100 can support multiple access points but only on a local ethernet
/ fast ethernet network.  I think WAM should work with any
SIP2-compliant integrated library system. WAM can be purchased as a
software only product from GIS Information Systems.

We just installed WAM last week, so we are still figuring out exactly
how we want to set up things.  At this point, we require patron library
card authentication to access anything via the wireless connection, even
our catalog.   We may in the future create "guest accounts" to
accommodate travelers who don't have a library card.  We plan to
generate reports to monitor the number of patrons accessing our network
through WAM and could then decide whether we need to limit session
length, an option not seen as a necessity at this time.

I agree with some of Jim Mann's thoughts about the whole wireless access
issue.  It is  too soon for us to know what kind of use the wireless
connection will get or what issues we will encounter here. The
connection here seems relatively fast and access is available throughout
the library and the parking lot.  What I can say for sure so far, is
that WAM was painless to implement and it works.

Patty Fonseca
Assistant Director
Clark County Public Library
201 S Fountain Ave