[OPLINTECH] Wi-Fi issues

JKENZIG JKENZIG@cuyahoga.lib.oh.us
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 11:58:36 -0400

I am not sure that you have the worries of CIPA compliance if people are
using their own equipment as long as you state that.  However we do not
filter here at CCPL and leave it to parents to allow minors to be able to
use the internet via an internet pass.  I suspect some kind of statement
about minors using own equipment may have to be put in place.

We are configuring our wireless access points on a separate VLAN that only
allows Ports 80 and 445 (web traffic).

Here is a good article on the ins and out of wireless.

We are currently using Cisco Aeronet access points as equipment.  You can
configure a vlan to block whatever traffic you want.  Also if you do your
own DNS you can block any website by pointing it to 127.0.0.1 on your dns
server. (you can do this in the hosts file on your pc's also) At any rate
unless you put in a network device that does filtering you cannot control
where a patron is going to go when you put out wireless access.

Wireless is something that every library should be considering within the
next year or so.  It is an inexpensive way for your library to reach further
out to the public.  We have also been working with some of our communities
to put long range wifi antenna's on roofs of our building to extend wireless
out to the community or surrounding area like parks and schools.
This has helped alleviate the cost of installing wireless in our branches
and is a great idea in my opinion. This of course all depends on your
available bandwidth. We are working with One Cleveland to get gigabit
internet access to our branches over the next several years.

We use wireless in so many ways in our 4 branches that have it already. It
has been in pilot stage for the last two years. We have put in wireless
webtablets out on tables for patrons to pick up and walk around the branch
and surf the internet. These tablets are also used during childrens story
hour and adult book discussion.  Our IT department uses one with a wand
connected to it to walk around and inventory equipment. This could also be
extended to staff to inventory books in the stacks.

Our wireless information access page is here:
http://www1.cuyahoga.lib.oh.us/usinglibrary/technology_services/wifi.htm

This page might help give you some more ideas and information.

CCPL is planning to have Wireless in 24 of its 28 branches by years end. We
would be glad to share our equipment configuration with any other libraries
that are interested.

Regards,
Jim Kenzig
Network Manager