[OPLINTECH] Update rollup 1 for 2000 service pack 4 (specifically fastfat.sys) breaks ability to save Office doc

Philip Robinette robineph@oplin.org
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:49:31 -0400

Chip,

I have also experienced this as a problem with the rollup, which I also
distributed with SUS.  Fortunately for me, my only Windows 2000 machines
with Office are for staff, not patrons.  Microsoft officially discourages
opening or saving Office documents on floppies because of the temporary
files created in the working directory.  But we can't train patrons.

As a work around that may be quicker than uninstalling the rollup or
replacing a file protected by Windows File Protection, you can turn off
debugging dumps in both "System Properties\Advanced\Startup and
Recovery\Write Debugging Information" and at "DrWtsn32\Options\Create Crash
Dump File".  Or just set the two registry keys remotely or by running the
following as a .reg file on affected computers:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DrWatson]
"CreateCrashDump"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl]
"CrashDumpEnabled"=dword:00000000

A reboot is necessary.  The default values to restore are 1 and 3,
respectively.

Franklin Library