[OPLINTECH] Update rollup 1 for 2000 service pack 4 (specifically fastfat.sys) breaks ability to save Office doc

Philip Robinette robineph@oplin.org
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:13:07 -0400

Chip,

Actually, turning off debugging does allow saving Office documents to
floppies, but only to a point.  After more investigation, I find that small
Office documents, 50 KB and less, can be saved to a floppy without errors.
Larger documents, 80 KB and more, still lock up the Office application and
prevent graceful logoffs and shutdowns.

Apparently the problem occurs when some resource threshold is past.  I found
that turning off our McAfee Antivirus allowed saving documents of all sizes
with debugging on, but of course that is not an acceptable option.

The suggestion from "Tom S" to replace fastfat.sys in
%windir%\system32\drivers and %windir%\system32\dllcache does seem to be a
solution.  To my surprise, Windows permits this with the driver loaded and
WFP does not protest.  I have a script for replacing the file remotely, if
you haven't already chosen a solution.

You can also get the fix from Microsoft Support, if you spend enough time on
the phone.

Philip Robinette
robineph@oplin.org
Franklin Public Library