[OPLINTECH] Recommended WMA players

Wes Osborn wosborn@clcohio.org
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:28:19 -0500

Don and Jim,

First, not to get to picky, but you can only use an iPod if you have a
Windows computer.  Windows Media for Mac doesn't support any Microsoft
DRM formats (and which company always gets fingers pointed at for being
proprietary).  Also does any one notice that the Overdrive Media console
"Copy to Device/Burn" toolbar icon is a picture of a CD and an iPod!
Incredible!

That being said, the click wheel interface on the iPod is lovely.  I
just picked up a 1st Gen 4GB iPod mini on Amazon for $149 and it is a
dream.  Using some other players you start understand Steve Jobs when he
talks about "tortured interfaces".

If Apple allows them to be sold, you could look into the SuperShuffle
http://www.luxpro-corp.com/e_575d.htm.  Which does appear to support
MS-DRM.

Don't know if you're looking for a simple flash device (which is
probably good for one audiobook at a time and that is it).  Or something
more complex that allows you to do bookmarking of multiple audiobooks,
as well as having your music library/portable storage and everything else.

Good luck on your quest, there is a large number of devices out there
these days; hopefully you'll come across one soon that meets your needs.

-Wes
CLC